Users jumping back to windows?

Stoly

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm starting to see a trend among out company's clients.

At first many of them started the shift to apple. It began with the iphone, then ipad and the next logical step was a macbook.

but since a few months ago lots of them ditched the iphone for an android or windows phone and are getting ultrabooks to replace macbooks.

Talking to a few of them I realized many of them actually like windows 8 and pretty much all of them think macbooks are no good for business enviroments. Also I've installed windows 7/8 on many macbooks and many of them don't even use OSX anymore.

Anyone else notice this?

"Macbooks are no good for business".

They are only one of the best selling, most highly rated laptops ever. Open a spreadsheet or email...they just fall apart!

Buyers remorse makes people do strange things.
In my little area of the OS world, I have people asking to downgrade to 7, almost daily. Which I am not allowed to do where I work.
I can see how certain business applications and programs would require Win OS over OSX. I can see this impacting those who bought, cause the Apple products were the "cool" and "hip" items, but simply lack compatibility required in the business realm.
I can also see Apple slipping. Lose your Guru, lose your path?

Nah, he is not trolling. 8+ years, and his 2[H]4U rating, shows otherwise...

"Macbooks are no good for business".
They are only one of the best selling, most highly rated laptops ever. Open a spreadsheet or email...they just fall apart!

Those statements are not opposite to each other. Macbook is a good home laptop, but that is about it. I switched away back to an Acer Aspire S7 from MacBook after a year, because MacBook usability was bad for my use case. That is - programming with external keyboard. Home/End/Page Up/Page Down works completely different in text editors compared to any other OS on the market, OS X has no maximize button etc. Yes, i can fix most of these things with various little applications, but why do i have to fix the OS... I could have just put Ubuntu on any other laptop if i wanted to do that (probably i would have lost less time configuring Ubuntu than fixing OS X).

VPN clients ? Lucky if it works for you, and unlucky if there is no client at all.

And we could probably find many "business" things which are not directly visible when you first buy in the OS X ecosystem. Only later you will find out that this can't be done because there is no tool for that in OS X, that is not how it works in OS X (maximize, those buttons i mentoined),...

Those statements are not opposite to each other. Macbook is a good home laptop, but that is about it. I switched away back to an Acer Aspire S7 from MacBook after a year, because MacBook usability was bad for my use case. That is - programming with external keyboard. Home/End/Page Up/Page Down works completely different in text editors compared to any other OS on the market, OS X has no maximize button etc. Yes, i can fix most of these things with various little applications, but why do i have to fix the OS... I could have just put Ubuntu on any other laptop if i wanted to do that (probably i would have lost less time configuring Ubuntu than fixing OS X).

VPN clients ? Lucky if it works for you, and unlucky if there is no client at all.

And we could probably find many "business" things which are not directly visible when you first buy in the OS X ecosystem. Only later you will find out that this can't be done because there is no tool for that in OS X, that is not how it works in OS X (maximize, those buttons i mentoined),...

I was being sarcastic. They don't fall apart. ;)

I provide support in a mixed office environment. 75/25 Windows vs Mac. The macs are mainly used by the graphic design department and they love all that they do. I personally own a macbook and vpn to multiple client locations without any issues.

I provide support in a mixed office environment. 75/25 Windows vs Mac. The macs are mainly used by the graphic design department and they love all that they do. I personally own a macbook and vpn to multiple client locations without any issues.

Graphic designers love macs they always have and always will. Although technically speaking there's nothing you can do on a Mac that can't be done on a PC.

Are you trolling? Seriously :D

Seriously, I'm not.

As stated before, there were plenty of users that switched to apple. Actually I expected the trend to continue but it seems now its reversed.

That said I have users that keep the macbooks for personal use but also have an ultrabook for business.

I think it boils down to this: The "business world" is PC. Having an Apple can make for little issues, such as compatibility with a program, or having to share files differently, or other little nick-pick annoyances.
Having perceived full compatibility is easier to have then being the odd person out.

Seriously, I'm not.

As stated before, there were plenty of users that switched to apple. Actually I expected the trend to continue but it seems now its reversed.

That said I have users that keep the macbooks for personal use but also have an ultrabook for business.

Heh I can't think of anything more half assed and backwards than downgrading OSX to windows :D

Windows is best run virtualized inside parallels or virtualbox for the cheap skates.

Back