Userenv Error Causing Group Policy not to be applied, please help

FLATcura

Weaksauce
Hi,

i built a new server which is also a domain controller, its windows 2003 server standard
it is a DC/DNS/File Server/Database server/Terminal Services Server

in my event log i have 100s if not more of the following error

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Userenv
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1054
Date: 9/20/2007
Time: 9:39:29 AM
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: *SERVER NAME*
Description:
Windows cannot obtain the domain controller name for your computer network. (An unexpected network error occurred. ). Group Policy processing aborted.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

the best microsoft suggests is the problem is my DNS, but from what i can tell, the DNS is fine..

Users who are supposed to be locked down (only one application can be used) are randomly getting no restrictions... this is bad...

please please help! i found a previous thread of someone else with a userenv problem, but there was never a solution.. and half of the help i find online involves these tools that i either dont have or cant find such as netdiag

thanks

thanks for the replies, at one point i thought i had it fixed, but it turns out it was only fixed from 8am to 4pm... i flushed the dns and rebooted...

but its back as strong as ever.. ive got all the logging tools, and i have enabled verbose logging, so please if theres any logs i can paste to help you help me, i have it all ready to go..

this is a terminal services server, and all the people who are going to be connecting will randomly have full access.... nightmare... my GP has em locked down tighter than two coats of paint

an piece of the log file showing where i see something start to go wrong
"
USERENV(b98.cfc) 09:23:01:921 ProcessGPO: ==============================
USERENV(b98.cfc) 09:23:01:921 GetGPOInfo: GPO Local Group Policy doesn't contain any data since the version number is 0. It will be skipped.
USERENV(b98.cfc) 09:23:01:921 GetGPOInfo: Leaving with 1
USERENV(b98.cfc) 09:23:01:921 GetGPOInfo: ********************************
USERENV(b98.cfc) 09:23:01:921 ProcessGPOs: Logging Data for Target <flatcura>.
USERENV(b98.cfc) 09:23:01:921 ProcessGPOs: OpenThreadToken failed with error 1008, assuming thread is not impersonating
USERENV(b98.cfc) 09:23:01:921 ProcessGPOs: -----------------------
USERENV(b98.cfc) 09:23:01:921 ProcessGPOs: Processing extension Registry
USERENV(b98.cfc) 09:23:01:921 CompareGPOLists: The lists are the same.
USERENV(b98.cfc) 09:23:01:921 CheckGPOs: No GPO changes but couldn't read extension Registry's status or policy time.
USERENV(b98.cfc) 09:23:01:921 ProcessGPOs: Extension Registry skipped because both deleted and changed GPO lists are empty.
"

please please, and i thank you in advance

thanks,

So dcdiag - everything passes

netdiag - i dont see any fails, there are a few skipped ones

and i did note "
[WARNING] At least one of the <00> 'WorkStation Service', <03> 'Messenger Service', <20> 'WINS' names is missing
No remote names have been found.
"
WINS service test was skipped (i dont use WINS)

Trust relationship test. . . . . . : Skipped
IP Security test . . . . . . . . . : Skipped

dnslint /ad /s localhost brings back

Total number of CNAME records found by local system: 1

Total number of CNAME records local system could not find: 0

Total number of glue (A) records local system could not find: 0

it appears rebooting gives me a couple of hours without the error.. if thats a hint..

thanks

What are your DHCP settings handed out to your clients? What is the TCP/IP settings of your server?

i use my router/firewall for DHCP

the clients have dynamic ips with the server as its dns

i havent had the error since this morning when i followed someones post on eventid.net that said he corrected the issue simply by updating the "AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor Driver for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003"

so im holding my breath right now, cause it seems like such a bizarre and unrelated answer... but i have been error free for like 6 hours now..

i hope, i hope i hope
:p

thanks

Back