User installation RAM iMac Mini

Galathron

n00b
I am definitely buying the iMac Mini to after my very positive experience I have had with my 12" iBook G4 800MHz that I got a while ago.

I have one question. Where as my iBook G4 allows the user to install RAM (and it was really easy to do it myself), on the iMac Mini page it says "Memory upgrade must be performed by an Apple Authorized Service provider."

It looks like memory intallation will void the warranty. Is it worth just getting it pre-installed with 512MB? Or upgrade it myself?

What I really want to eventually do is just get an extra 1GB of Samsung PC2700 memory (the cheapest stick I can find.) But I know this will void the warranty (and from the picture of the internals its definitely not a challenge to install, just have to figure out how to pop the top.)

My iBook was really finicky with memory. I first tried Kingmax PC2100 and it totally didn't work, with the Kingston memory I have now it works with one caveat, you cannot use automatic power management (that seems to clock down the system 33% when using the battery.) Other memory management settings work fine.

I'm worried that doing it myself may result in spending more for name brand memory anyways, if the memory I have doesn't work.

I really want to put in 1GB of RAM, but not for the price they charge.

It's too early to tell what will happen with the memory install issue, though I'm sure it will be an issue. Only Steve knows what Apple is going to do

yeah but look at the snap hooks on that chassis, it may be that once the thing is together, it's designed to STAY together.

They may be so cheap to make that any hardware failure is solved by just cloning your drive and getting an completly new one.

The case does look like it just snaps off, but why does Apple post on a couple pages on their site that RAM installation MUST be done by an apple authorized service provider, none of the other systems have this note (eMac lists user-accessible slots). The note seems kinda odd if it is super simple to install the RAM.

I can already see in Service Training for Mac Mini that it is not user serviceable.
Though apple has not posted the Service manual for it, they have posted some product training.

Things of note:
RAM is not user upgradeable
AirPort Extreme is not user upgradable
Bluetooth is not user upgradeable
Basically, you can not open the Mac Mini yourself

I just saw the internal layout and if you can get the top case off then installing the parts won't be an issue but you need a special tool to get into the case and only authorized service providers can get that tool :( and this will effect airport as well as RAM installs

So buy a 1GB stick and bring it to a servicer. Yeah, it may cost a little, but it won't cost $400!

Yes, I am getting one of these, but shit does Apple rape you on upgrades.

gigglebyte said:
I just saw the internal layout and if you can get the top case off then installing the parts won't be an issue but you need a special tool to get into the case and only authorized service providers can get that tool :( and this will effect airport as well as RAM installs

That is taking a page from what the auto industry has done over the last few years. If you want to service your own vwhicle your SOL....

I don't see the info on gsx for how these suckers come apart yet but I know I'll be doing the memory upgrade myself.

msny said:
That is taking a page from what the auto industry has done over the last few years. If you want to service your own vwhicle your SOL....
Thank heaven the auto industry is getting ripped apart in court for that BS.

Manual from some crazy Japanese guy, stick of Crucial RAM, plastic or wooden pic, steady hands, patience, done.

swatbat said:
I don't see the info on gsx for how these suckers come apart yet but I know I'll be doing the memory upgrade myself.
Well if you do a parts lookup for "Mac Mini" you can see parts for it.
Also if you do Training&Certifications under new product training you can see some more info on it

Edit: hrrm I don't see a logic board replacement, but I do see shipping.... Interesting

i bet a later revision of the mini will allow a user upgrade option for ram, but that would cause them to change a lot to have it accessable from the bottom, so they may not. i think it is really gay, but the engineering restraints put on a compy at that size dictate such crap. maybe theyll figure out a way to make it user replaceable, if the mac fans make a big enough noise.

According to Macworld SF 2005 Reporter's Notebook , It definitely looks like you can install the memory yourself without voiding the warranty! The hard drive is user-upgradeable. Its a a 5400-rpm notebook drive (rumoured rotation speed.) Lastly, there will be a kit for AirPort Extreme/Bluetooth if you want to upgrade later.

i wonder if the "breaking something" includes the little plastic clips holding the thing together. if breaking one of those voids your warranty, thats pretty gay.

I think the warranty will only be if you cause any physical damage to the components, not the case.

I bet someone here will get out there soldering iron and try and overclock one of these things just to see how fast it would go.

Looks like they ship with only 4200 RPM drives. The higher priced model ships with the Toshiba MK8025GAS 80GB 4200RPM Laptop Hard Drive to be exact.

Looks to be standard PC2700 RAM, nothing too dangerous. I'm sure if you can access the internals with any degree of ease, the upgrade would be as simple as any other memory swap.
As far as the HD goes, I'd probably look at an external firewire enclosure if speed is any issue, as these are MUCH cheaper than laptop HDs, particularly the 7200RPM Hitachi models. (OSX can boot from firewire, no?) Actually, I have a 160GB drive and an old friewire cage lying around... When I get the Mini I'll post if it works or not.
These things are bloody neat. Tiny, powerful, and especially CHEAP. Planning to use it as a set-top/MP3 box.

yeah, im pretty sure that booting from a firewire device will work, seeing as how even ipods can be bootable. i dont see why not. but that is kinda ghetto to have a compy and need an external hdd for the os to run on.

wankrtron said:
yeah, im pretty sure that booting from a firewire device will work, seeing as how even ipods can be bootable. i dont see why not. but that is kinda ghetto to have a compy and need an external hdd for the os to run on.

it isn't that the comp needs an external drive to boot...they just want a faster drive than what is offered

yeah, i know. i was pointing out the fact that it is kinda ghetto to boot externally, albeit faster. thats all.

Exactly. And yes, you can boot from firewire according ot Apple's site. You cannot from USB though, which is weird.
If you don't understand why I'm looking to use an external drive, just compare boot times between a 4200RPM drive and a 7200RPM one. Heck, if you're really nuts get one of those 73GB 10K Raptors. (I have 2 in RAID-0 on my main PC.) Plus it's not like there's another HD bracket in the case, so if you ever want to upgrade that's the way to go.
Another thing: Don't get the wireless or bluetooth options. Either of those can be had cheaper from a USB connector, just bear in mind that OSX only supports Orinoco chipsets for USB wireless cards. (AFAIK) The equivalent to an Airport Extreme can be had for < $40 if you shop around, and bluetooth USB dongles are like $14.

considering the form factor im really surprised that Apple didn't use SO-DIMMs. if they used SODIMMs they could probably fit two RAM slots in there.

but then theres the 'push-down' method that SODIMMs use to be put onto the mobo. im sure you guys know what im talking about. im sure theres some way around it, like making them vertical. probably wouldnt be too hard.

Back