romeoagogo
Limp Gawd
- Joined
- Aug 25, 2004
- Messages
- 159
Currently I have my old PC (XP-M 2400+, 1gig PC-2700, Radeon 9600) running Windows Media Center for streaming to my Xbox. What I am trying to figure out is how I can turn it into more of a server type machine even though it is running MCE. It seems like a waste to just have it sitting there to watch a movie or stream some music and I think there is more functionality I can get out of it. So here are some of my ideas and I am just looking for more some more ideas or input on ideas I have:
1) Folding (duh)
2) Setup a personal FTP/FXP server. This way I could upload anything I download from work as well as backing up personal files/projects from work and campus.
3) Some kind of download scheduler. - I dont know if anything like this exists, if not I would consider trying to write it myself but some kind of app to automatically download new torrents would be really nice. This would allow me to just schedule a show that I want new episodes of and it would automatically download them every morning and possibly even delete say any episodes over 5 days old or something.
4) IRC or AIM bot?? I setup an IRC bot like 2 years ago with a lot of help from somebody but I think I could do it again. This would be nice for things like restarting the FTP server or restarting services like VLC360 (which is used for transcoding movies for xbox streaming). VLC360 occassionally hiccups and right now I either need to logon remotely or hookup a monitor/keyboard/mouse to restart it. Not sure if I remember correctly but I thought there might be some AIM type programs out that allow for botting, would be even more handy.
5) Webserver, although I cannot for the life of me think of why....
Any ideas?
1) Folding (duh)
2) Setup a personal FTP/FXP server. This way I could upload anything I download from work as well as backing up personal files/projects from work and campus.
3) Some kind of download scheduler. - I dont know if anything like this exists, if not I would consider trying to write it myself but some kind of app to automatically download new torrents would be really nice. This would allow me to just schedule a show that I want new episodes of and it would automatically download them every morning and possibly even delete say any episodes over 5 days old or something.
4) IRC or AIM bot?? I setup an IRC bot like 2 years ago with a lot of help from somebody but I think I could do it again. This would be nice for things like restarting the FTP server or restarting services like VLC360 (which is used for transcoding movies for xbox streaming). VLC360 occassionally hiccups and right now I either need to logon remotely or hookup a monitor/keyboard/mouse to restart it. Not sure if I remember correctly but I thought there might be some AIM type programs out that allow for botting, would be even more handy.
5) Webserver, although I cannot for the life of me think of why....
Any ideas?