used space after fresh install

allen200

Weaksauce
did a clean install on an ssd with win7 ult the other day. after updates and common programs i was expecting 17gb or so used space, but this time it was twice as much at 34gb. no large programs or files on my main drive. system restore is off.

what am i missing?

Page File and Hibernation (I assume you have a lot of ram?). Also, delete the contents of c:\windows\softwaredistribution\downloads\. These are just Windows Update downloaded files. They don't need to be stored once you've already installed them.

Adjust the Page File to manual settings, Minimal - 400 MB (it will tell you the exact minimal, which is arond 400MB) and maximum (however much ram you have). Your pagefile.sys will sit at 400 MB almost always except in the cases where it needs to grow. Since it's an SSD you will not have page file fragmentation to worry about.

As for Hibernation, if you do not want to use it, at an elevated cmd prompt, type in

powercfg -h off

That will save you a few GB as well.

Also run Disk Cleanup to remove the SP1 installation files.

Last edited:
Won't using disk cleanup remove make SP1 permanent? I mean if he's using a Windows 7 without SP1 integrated it might be a pain to do a repair installation later especially if he runs intro trouble with the Windows installation.

Page File and Hibernation (I assume you have a lot of ram?). Also, delete the contents of c:\windows\softwaredistribution\downloads\. These are just Windows Update downloaded files. They don't need to be stored once you've already installed them.

Adjust the Page File to manual settings, Minimal - 400 MB (it will tell you the exact minimal, which is arond 400MB) and maximum (however much ram you have). Your pagefile.sys will sit at 400 MB almost always except in the cases where it needs to grow. Since it's an SSD you will not have page file fragmentation to worry about.

As for Hibernation, if you do not want to use it, at an elevated cmd prompt, type in

powercfg -h off

That will save you a few GB as well.

Also run Disk Cleanup to remove the SP1 installation files.

ive done all that, except for lowering pagefile which ill look into now (not sure where to go to adjust it). all these space reduction tricks help, but what bothers me is that ive formatted with this setup before (same ram, minus the ssd) and have always ended with 17gb or so. suddenly windows wants to take up twice as much space by default. im tempted to format fresh again, just to check the usage step - by - step, as i add programs and modify things.

ive done all that, except for lowering pagefile which ill look into now (not sure where to go to adjust it). all these space reduction tricks help, but what bothers me is that ive formatted with this setup before (same ram, minus the ssd) and have always ended with 17gb or so. suddenly windows wants to take up twice as much space by default. im tempted to format fresh again, just to check the usage step - by - step, as i add programs and modify things.

Just get something like WinDirStat to see where the space went. It will probably be pretty obvious, i.e. one exceptionally large directory or file or something.

Page file takes up quite a bit if you have lots of ram (why it's like this I don't know). It's under advanced system settings when you right click computer and click properties.

I have 16gb of ram and windows wants 24gb for a page file, I set it at 512mb.

Also deleting all but the most recent restore-points can give quite some extra space.

Back