Used MSI GTX 980 for $300 Good/great?

I personally think it's a good deal but.... seems late in the 9xx series for a GTX 980

Also would my PSU <--sig be okay with the GTX 980? If not I do have another that I know will be fine but it's super overkill. (EVGA 1000 P2)

Why not just throw another 970 in your rig?
SLI 970s demolish a single 980

I had a x99 setup with dual MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G cards but sold and downgraded to a mATX with the current single 970 in sig. I still have my XHD3000 1600p monitor but don't use much anymore mostly game/use PC on a 42" Vizio

Definitely a good card for that price. Do you need it? What games are you playing, at what resolution?

Of course, sell your 970 for $200, and recoup a lot of the cost...

Do I need it? Not really. Do I want it? Mostly. Games: LoL, CoD BO III, Fallout 4, BF4 and I do go back and forth with some of this year/last years earlier AAA titles. As for resolution I'm mostly at 1080p but occasionally 2560x1600.

So after contemplating for a while I decided not to buy and told seller I was gonna pass he then sent me a message with even a lower price.... and you guessed it I just couldn't pass up :)

After some quick testing and a brief overclock +100 core +200 mem, card boosted to 1390MHz. Have not messed with voltage, fan, power limit or temp limit yet. (default) Saw some slight throttle to 1363 but no lower after an hour of CoD BO III 1080p max settings and v sync enabled.

Congrats man! Now sell the 970 to make back your cost. That way if Pascal is truly a beast then you can sell the 980 for what you paid for it to finance a Pascal card.

Congratulations again!

Great card for the price! And forget sbout Pascal for now! It won't be available for at least 3-4 months and the chances are that the high-end will be 10-15% better than the 980 with a price tag of +600$. And i suppose you paid less than half for the 980 :D

Again, great deal! Congrats!

Thanks fellas! I've had a few responses to my GTX 970 ad already. Shouldn't be long before it's gone now.

Am I wrong or does the GTX 980 only give about a 20% increase over the GTX 970. Thought I remember reading about that somewhere.

You are correct SpongeBob. I've been tempted by 2x970s myself but have convinced myself to wait for Pascal.

Am I wrong or does the GTX 980 only give about a 20% increase over the GTX 970. Thought I remember reading about that somewhere.

The GTX 980 is pretty OC friendly, though, so you can push it into 30-35% increases with a bit of luck with the video card lottery.

You are correct SpongeBob. I've been tempted by 2x970s myself but have convinced myself to wait for Pascal.

(2) GTX 970 = (1) GTX 970 when a game like Just Cause 3, new Batman, etc are released without SLi drivers. I think it's the perfect reason that you should save every dime that you can so that you can purchase the most powerful single GPU that you can afford when AMD and NVidia release their new cards.

980 is about 15% faster than a 970. But if you can get one for under $300 it's a no-brainer.

Back