Used m.2 drive issues?

SniperXx

2[H]4U
I bought a couple 970 Evo m.2's on marketplace. Deal was almost to good to pass. They said they upgraded that they work fine. Well I remove my WD Black to try them out. First one didn't detect, removed cleaned still nothing. Started to worry and so I tried the other it worked perfect. Before getting ahold of the seller I try the other one more time. Now it works perfect. I even removed and reinstalled and it still works.

I can't really message them with it now working. Read and writes are good on both, crystaldisk shows good health. I'm not familiar with m.2 drives is it common to have seating issues? Should I be worried something is wrong with it? Thanks

I bought a couple 970 Evo m.2's on marketplace. Deal was almost to good to pass. They said they upgraded that they work fine. Well I remove my WD Black to try them out. First one didn't detect, removed cleaned still nothing. Started to worry and so I tried the other it worked perfect. Before getting ahold of the seller I try the other one more time. Now it works perfect. I even removed and reinstalled and it still works.

I can't really message them with it now working. Read and writes are good on both, crystaldisk shows good health. I'm not familiar with m.2 drives is it common to have seating issues? Should I be worried something is wrong with it? Thanks
it is easy to not seat them properly. I’m sure there isn’t any real issue.

There may well have been some oxide or gunk on the pins that the first installation cleaned off, so the second time around worked. I wouldn't worry about it if they seem to be stable with initial use.

There may well have been some oxide or gunk on the pins that the first installation cleaned off, so the second time around worked. I wouldn't worry about it if they seem to be stable with initial use.

That's the thing it didn't start working till the 3rd install. I cleaned the pins after the first. It's certainly odd.

Could be an issue with the connector on the MB rather than the SSD. Also make sure you aren't putting too much pressure on the SSD with a thermal pad/heatsink on top or underneath as it could bow the PCB and cause issues at the connector due to too much pressure pushing up/down.

also make sure you have put the standoff pegon the motherboard (some people don't realize there is supposed to be a standoff peg that screws into the motherboard first then you put the ssd in and then screw into that)

if the SSD is on a downward angle from the socket you have not fitted the standoff peg

Back