Used ASUS Striker Extreme wont post. Need advice!

MATTRESS

Gawd
Hey guys! It's been an eternity since I've been able to delve into my enthusiasm for performance computers. The last one I built was a ridiculously overclocked AMD Athlon XP 2500+ mobile CPU in a desktop board.

Anyway... I was running around some yard sales last weekend and came across a deal I couldn't pass up. This guy was selling "just a computer case" for $5, that was his sons, I'm assuming.

The case is a cooler master cosmos. Surprisingly, it's bigger than my biggest build, lol.

It was missing the power supply, so I was able to peak inside and saw a bunch of shiny goodies.

I got it home, the motherboard is an ASUS striker extreme. The heat sink is a thermaltake V1. It has 2x EVGA 8800 GT 512mb with a sli cable connecting them. The CPU is the intel QX6580. It has 2x corsair 800mhz 5-5-5-16 2gb sticks of ram.

No hard drives, optical drives, or power supply.

I brought it home, tore it down, and cleaned it up. Cobwebs from sitting, and a little dust build up in the heat sink. I reseated the CPU, and used some arctic silver 5.

I have the motherboard on a bench with the CPU and fan, and 1 graphics card, and 1 stick of ram. I've cleared the CMOS.

When I connect the psu, I get all the lights. When I power it up, all the fans come on. But that's it. No activity. No flashing lights. No read out on the POST LCD on the back of the board. No beeps from the speaker.

I'm starting to guess the previous owner might have killed it. I'm thinking the motherboard might be the culprit. I've read lots of death stories on the Internet

Anyway, I was hoping you guys could have some advice for me, since I am quite rusty.

TLDR;
Got a second hand board/ CPU/ram. Will power on but nothing else. and no diagnostic lights/beeps/etc.

Last edited:
Update: I'm leaning towards a bad board.

I stuck a different c2d CPU in there, different ram, different GPU, etc....

I read a lot about the striker bios going bad too. It doesn't look like it has a removable chip though.

you could try finding a bios chip on ebay for cheap and try soldering it to replace the older bios chip. This would be the only way to check it out. But I strongly suggest swapping the mobo battery first.

Pull motherboard and test out of case, could be shorting out.

EDIT: nvm, can't read, probably bad board / battery

I would take a look at the capacitors as well sometimes the caps could be bad due to no electricity running through them for a long time. You might be able to see blown caps by the top being fluffed up. normal caps have a flat top.

Back