• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Use my x1800xt or wait....

Bigshot

Gawd
Joined
Oct 22, 2002
Messages
787
As the titles says I have a brand new, still in the box, BBA X1800XT.

Should I crack this mother open or wait and return it and get a X1900XTX?

Please give me some advice.
 
What is the intended use of the card?

What is your display?

The x1900xtx will likely cost another couple hundred over that card, at least on launch.
 
If you want to go the X1900XTX route, you better sell that thing now because the value of the X1800's may very well drop. That being said, it depends if you can wait awhile to have top of the line and have the extra couple hundred to throw at that X1900XTX.
 
I would open up your X1800XT and enjoy it because frankly you have no way of knowing when that supposed X190000000XTPE GTX card is coming out and if you look at past ATI launches....well you get the picture no sense waiting when you can run that fine and dandy and just wait till the gen after x1900 comes out ;). Hell if I was AGP still I would have a X850 or the like :) and they run things fine for the most part so use it and wait for the unified DX10 card gen :).
 
For gaming mostly.

I still have the reciept to take the card back, no lost money there. And I have the "extra couple" hundred on standby.

My display is the Dell 2405, I just want to get the most out of my games and gaming equipment.
 
Bigshot said:
For gaming mostly.

I still have the reciept to take the card back, no lost money there. And I have the "extra couple" hundred on standby.

My display is the Dell 2405, I just want to get the most out of my games and gaming equipment.
Where did you buy it from? I know all big stores such as bb, cc, cusa they will even refund if you already opened it. I would say open it and enjoy, it is a great card. x1900xtx might be delayed, or there mihgt be a availiability problem.
 
The 1900XTX will be ~20% faster, but +25% more expensive than the 1800XT. The choice is yours.
 
Stereophile said:
Crystal Ball ??? :p

Sort of :p :) ;)

FEAR, 1600x1200, 4xAA/8xHQAF

X1900XTX = 49fps avg

Same system, same settings:

7800GTX512 = 36fps.
X1800XT = 39fps.

All stock.

Trust me, the above is real. So in Fear, which is VERY shaderintensive (here the XTX can excell), the 1900XTX is ~25% faster. I estimate that in other, less shaderintensive games, the difference will be smaller, let's say 15-25%. Depending on the game.
 
I'm not calling you a liar or anything, I would simply like to know where you got this information?
 
contaminant said:
I'm not calling you a liar or anything, I would simply like to know where you got this information?


From a Dutch techforum. We were talking about FEAR performance, and a guy who has the XTX (for a review) was there too, and i asked him what's the AVG of the XTX + I asked him for his age.

He gave some numbers then without saying which means what. I know what his age is so it's not that difficult to know the AVG number. So we did it in a way that he did not break any NDA. ;) :)

These are btw the only numbers i know, ofcourse he didn't went any further.
 
Bigshot:

You have an X1800XT in your hands right now.

Based on ATI's record, how long do you think it will be
before you will have an X1900XTX in your hands?
 
Pop the X1800XT in that thing... I would LOVE to have one of those, just enjoy it for the rest of us who still have AGP. And really... if I were you, I'd be too excited to keep it in the box, never mind wait months until the X1900XT was around...
 
Apple740 said:
Sort of :p :) ;)

FEAR, 1600x1200, 4xAA/8xHQAF

X1900XTX = 49fps avg

Same system, same settings:

7800GTX512 = 36fps.
X1800XT = 39fps.

All stock.

Trust me, the above is real. So in Fear, which is VERY shaderintensive (here the XTX can excell), the 1900XTX is ~25% faster. I estimate that in other, less shaderintensive games, the difference will be smaller, let's say 15-25%. Depending on the game.

That's weird because on one card 512mb GTX you won't see 36FPS avg. with everything turned on ;) Maybe you had softshadows on. I know with everything cracnked playing in MP with softshadows off I get over 150 FPS.

I think you mean the 256mb GTX the 512mb handles fear easy.
 
Yea on second thought the numbers in this thread just don't add up so I am going to ditch this thread before more fud gets thrown around :).
 
That's weird because on one card 512mb GTX you won't see 36FPS avg. with everything turned on Maybe you had softshadows on. I know with everything cracnked playing in MP with softshadows off I get over 150 FPS.

Try the built in (singleplayer) time demo. Run it @ 1600x1200/4xAA/8xAF, in-game everything max, softshadows OFF.

The GTX/512 will score 36fps average.



Btw, Xbitlabs got 35fps (with 16xAF):

fear_highend_candy.gif
 
go with your heart, not your head...because whatever happens you dont want to be 2 months down the line and regret your decision...
 
X1800XT is in your hands now.... ENJOY IT!
wait till Generation after the X1900XTX.
Thats what I am doing... well sort of.
I bought a X850XT-PE and it was only the king of the hill for 2 months after I bought it.
Then comes the 7800GTX!
So rather than buy a X1800XT, I am waiting till X1900XTX comes out.
I tryed to find a pair of 7800GTX512... no luck, so I am waiting now.
 
Humble_Magii said:
That's weird because on one card 512mb GTX you won't see 36FPS avg. with everything turned on ;) Maybe you had softshadows on. I know with everything cracnked playing in MP with softshadows off I get over 150 FPS.

Your telling me at the
FEAR, 1600x1200, 4xAA/8xHQAF
setting you get 150fps? uh huh, I believe ya
 
Apple740 said:
Try the built in (singleplayer) time demo. Run it @ 1600x1200/4xAA/8xAF, in-game everything max, softshadows OFF.


I get 28 with the videocard stock.

33 with the oc in sig.
 
Xiro said:
Your telling me at the setting you get 150fps? uh huh, I believe ya

No I get more than that with two cards but anywhere from low end 100-200 it will fluctuate depending since I play on some custom maps that are huge.

I think I will trust my fraps over anything anyone else says since I actually have it in front of me ;).
 
Back
Top