Use case fan as CPU fan replacement?

geraltofrivia

Limp Gawd
I think I got a bad fan with my 212 Evo. It sounds OK on load but when spinning at slow speeds makes this odd gurgling noise. I was thinking of replacing it with one of the Antec Tricool fans that came with my case. The tricools are pretty quiet to my ears (at low speeds at least). But is there anything fundamentally different between CPU and case fans that would make this a bad idea?

No, a fan is a fan. Some have higher static pressure than others which helps with coolers, but there really is no significant difference for normal use.

Unfortunately yes I bought it a couple months ago. It was running fine on installation - or maybe I just didn't notice the sound because I had all 4 case fans on max (now on min and not 1 degree of temp difference). Going to swap in the tricool later tonight. I should probably leave the switch on High right?

I have shaving oil, olive oil, trumpet valve oil, and WD40. Going to give it a try once I figure out which oil to use.

edit: Well according to the links WD40 is out of the running :)

Yeah, definitely no WD40. I am using some Singer Sewing Machine Oil that looks like it's from the 1950's but it works great. Any time my Antec 1200 case fans give me any lip I nip them in the bud with it.

If the fan uses ball bearings then I would not use oil. The bearing are likely packed with grease and the oil will thin them. If the fan uses sleeve bearings then oil might help.

The only thing that differs on CPU fans is the 4 pin PWM connector. Some case fans have them, some don't.

Shaving oil, like this? http://www.amazon.com/Forfex-Clipper-Trimmer-Lubricating-4-Ounces/dp/B0006JKC6M

That would be fine to use on a fan. No clue about trumpet valve oil, as trumpets don't have fast moving parts.

Thanks that's good info to know. Apparently these tricools are 4 pin. I think the shaving oil is just mineral oil + menthol but I decided to go with the valve oil. Trumpets do indeed have very fast moving parts! Unfortunately it didn't make a difference in terms of the sound. I put a tricool on there and it's working well now. Prime gives me within 1 degree of my previous temps, well within the margin of error. So I'm satisfied. I don't think losing a fan in the front of the case will affect much.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
There is a difference in case fans and cooler fans and that's static pressure. A case fan doesn't have to fight much resistance since its pushing thru a thin case grill while a CPU cooler family has to push thru a heatsink. A heatsink is going to present a lot more resistance than a simple case grill so a case fan with low static pressure wont be able to move as much air thru as a fan designed for heatsinks. You can get Evo replacement fans off Cooler Master's website for less than $10. I actually like the 212+ fan better as its a little faster. You can get those on Newegg for $11.

Thanks that's good info to know. Apparently these tricools are 4 pin. I think the shaving oil is just mineral oil + menthol but I decided to go with the valve oil. Trumpets do indeed have very fast moving parts! Unfortunately it didn't make a difference in terms of the sound. I put a tricool on there and it's working well now. Prime gives me within 1 degree of my previous temps, well within the margin of error. So I'm satisfied. I don't think losing a fan in the front of the case will affect much.

I meant in terms of 500+ RPM. Technically any oil will work, it's just that others degrade faster with fast moving parts and heat.

As for static pressure, you really only have to worry about that on coolers with dense fins, such as radiators and the such. Standard air tower coolers such as the 212+/Evo don't obstruct airflow as much as say, a H80 would.

That's true but every extra bit of air helps and when replacement fans are less then $10, I just think it makes better sense to go that route. I'm sure case fans will work but a fan designed for heatsinks would work better. ;)

And that Hyper heatsink is more restrictive than you might think. Granted its not a beast like a Silver Arrow but its still pretty good size.

Looks like the EVO fan is going in the trash.. I don't think the problem was with the bearing. What was odd was that it sounded fine at high speeds and only gurgled on idling.

That's true but every extra bit of air helps and when replacement fans are less then $10, I just think it makes better sense to go that route. I'm sure case fans will work but a fan designed for heatsinks would work better. ;)

And that Hyper heatsink is more restrictive than you might think. Granted its not a beast like a Silver Arrow but its still pretty good size.

What fan would you recommend as an upgrade (mainly acoustically, temps are good enough) for the 212?

Looks like the EVO fan is going in the trash.. I don't think the problem was with the bearing. What was odd was that it sounded fine at high speeds and only gurgled on idling.

When you say idling, do you mean the fan was on a low speed, or that it wasn't spinning at all? Some fans don't like to be under volted, which causes them to make weird noises. I've got a 212+ fan that I can test on a fan controller and see how that performs, give me a little bit.

What fan would you recommend as an upgrade (mainly acoustically, temps are good enough) for the 212?

If your temps are fine, get a replacement Evo fan. Its quieter than the 212+ Blademaster mainly because it spins slower. The stock Blademaster on the 212+ is actually a very good fan. I was going to upgrade mine but did some researching and the stocker was hanging in there with all the big names. So I kept it and just bought a 2nd and shaved am extra 2C off my temps.

This is the 212+ fan.

This is the 212 Evo fan but its out of stock right now.

Honestly, I'd get a 212+ fan and call it a day. It's a better fan and only slightly noisier by maybe a db or two.

If it were me, I'd save the $12 and use the Tricool if it's not too noisy. For a few bucksI' more, you can get a Gentle Typhoon, or something similar.

I'm sure CM will RMA you a replacement fan without any fuss.

When you say idling, do you mean the fan was on a low speed, or that it wasn't spinning at all? Some fans don't like to be under volted, which causes them to make weird noises. I've got a 212+ fan that I can test on a fan controller and see how that performs, give me a little bit.

Low speed. That would be creepy if it was making noise while not spinning lol.

If your temps are fine, get a replacement Evo fan. Its quieter than the 212+ Blademaster mainly because it spins slower. The stock Blademaster on the 212+ is actually a very good fan. I was going to upgrade mine but did some researching and the stocker was hanging in there with all the big names. So I kept it and just bought a 2nd and shaved am extra 2C off my temps.

This is the 212+ fan.

This is the 212 Evo fan but its out of stock right now.

Honestly, I'd get a 212+ fan and call it a day. It's a better fan and only slightly noisier by maybe a db or two.

If it were me, I'd save the $12 and use the Tricool if it's not too noisy. For a few bucksI' more, you can get a Gentle Typhoon, or something similar.

I'm sure CM will RMA you a replacement fan without any fuss.

That's true I should probably RMA it instead of tossing it in the trash. I'll look into that.

No, a fan is a fan. Some have higher static pressure than others which helps with coolers, but there really is no significant difference for normal use.

Silverstone Air Penetrators suck at sucking air in thru filters. They are great in push but not in pull applications.You can use them on a cpu cooler blowing air into an air cooler or radiator. I was using them as case fans pulling air in thru air filters & they didn't cut the mustard. Different fans do different things. Sometimes you have to do a little side by side experiment to see which fans will work best for your application. cha ching $$$

Back