Use 64bit key on 32bit install?

amadeus00

Limp Gawd
I have Vista Ultimate 64bit OEM that I never registered. I have access to Ultimate 32bit disc and was wondering if I could register/activate Vista with the 64bit key?

I think you can. That's the opposite way round to how people usually do it though! Usually people with the 32-bit keys are trying to get hold of the 64-bit version.

Vista keys are interchangeable among versions - meaning 32 bit or 64 bit - but not editions meaning Home, Home Premium, etc.

If you have a legit Vista key for any given edition, it will work for the 32 bit version of that edition as well as the 64 bit version. In the situation presented by the OP, the answer would yes, you can use the Vista Ultimate x64 OEM key with a Vista Ultimate x86 OEM CD - it's the same edition, just a different version.

I think you can. That's the opposite way round to how people usually do it though! Usually people with the 32-bit keys are trying to get hold of the 64-bit version.

I've had the 64bit version ever since the initial release and have gone back to XP32 for my main rig. Now that I am building another HTPC, why not use the key I have for an Ultimate 32?

Thanks for the responses. I'll give it a try.

The terms "64-bit key" or "32-bit key" are misnomers. As stated, serials only refer to version.

Back