• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

USB3 Hubs with USB2 Devices

l008com

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 20, 2002
Messages
374
I have a question about how USB 3 hubs work when you connect USB 2 devices to them. The answer to this question may vary from hub to hub, or it may be standard across the board.

The question is, if I filled a USB 3 hub with USB 2 devices, would the computer still be able to talk to the USB devices at USB 3 speeds? Or would it essentially step-down the whole hub to USB 2?

A better way to ask the question might be with examples. Let's say I have a 10-port USB 3 hub, connected to a Mac with a native, dedicated USB 3 port. Now let's say I connect 10 independent USB 2 hard drives to the hub. And lets also pretend that each hard drive is hard limited to 25MB/sec read and write speed...

Now of course, the computer could only ever talk to any ONE drive at 25MB/sec. BUT if I were to copy one file from each drive, all at the same time, to an SSD internal to the computer (where there would be no read/write bottlenecks), would I still somehow get stuck at 25MB/sec, or would the speeds get "merged" and would the computer be able to read from the hub at a total of 250MB/sec? (this isn't a raid question, assume these are all just regular old individual drives. And assume they are large files, and I'm quick with the mouse, so I was able to drag and drop all 10 virtually instantly).
 
Back
Top