USB2.0 thumb drive won't detect

Akuma

2[H]4U
Joined
Sep 7, 2003
Messages
2,199
Transcend JetFlash 128MB thumb drive won't detect on my WinXP system. It was working for a long time but it stopped working around the time I installed SP2. I untinstalled SP2 but it still doesn't work. USB2.0 support is enabled in the BIOS.
The thumb drive does work on the computer listed in my sig, though.

Specs of non-working system:
Athlon XP2500+
Abit AN7 w/ lastest BIOS
512MB PC3200
XP Home


Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
 
I reinstalled the chipset drivers a few times and it still didn't work.
 
One thing that has worked for me on occasion when USB devices stop working is to go into Control Panel and delete all USB devices (including hubs and root controllers). Reboot your system and everything should be redected. Sometimes this will help, sometimes it doesn't, but it's easy to try.
 
Is there a change you booted with it connected. if so then try turning on reset configuration data in your bios.
 
I have exactly the same problem on exactly the same board with the same processor. Except my usb drive has never worked on xp. Works fine on the puters at work but on my home system it just hangs the entire system. Sometimes it will recognise the drive but it doesnt seem to load the drivers and sometimes it doesn't even recognise the drive. I have not had this problem with other usb devices............like a usb drive i borrowed from work......that worked no problem.

Funnily enough i believe i have the same type of usb drive as you. Try a different usb drive in your machine and try your drive in someone elses machine
 
I can't guarantee that this is your problem but when I was researching my purchase of an External HDD enclosure I noticed that many people who had NFORCE 2 based boards were having trouble with various models depending on what controller chip was in the enclosure (sorry I forget what brand chip this was).

USB thumb drives and HDD enclosures are quite similar I would think at least in terms of how they communicate with the computer (some thumb detect as mass storage devices).

It's a very strange issue. I havn't tried my external HDD on my dad's Nforce2 Ultra 400 based system yet but I'm sure it'll have the same incompatibility problems that others have been experiencing...
 
Back
Top