USB wireless adapter disconnects

Sparky

2[H]4U
I seem to have a strange issue. I have a Win 7 Pro desktop that uses a Zyxel G-202 USB wireless adapter driver version 5.20 (which isnt really 5.20 but thats another issue) which has been working fine connecting to a Netgear WNR1000v2 router with no encryption. When I enable WPA2-PSK (AES) I can connect and get internet but when I do any heavy downloading like update Java, Steam, or download files it will either disconnect or BSOD with Bad Pool Header. When it disconnects I can remove the adapter from usb jack and reconnect it and it will come back up. Speedtest.net shows extremely slow connection speed but normal speed when not encrypted. Also in the Router under attached devices there is no IP or device name listed for that desktop, it shows ... in those areas.The MAC address is listed correctly. When the encryption is off it shows the IP and Device Name just fine.

For the meantime I have encryption off with Access List turned on.

Last edited:
I couldn't give you a solid answer, but I'd recommend just replacing it with another Wi-Fi USB adapter that's newer and more reliable. Seems that model is fairly old and support is definitely waning. That would be the easiest way to resolve the issue since you've narrowed it down to a WPA issue. Perhaps it doesn't support that specific mode very well. Usually there are multiple choices have you tried others in the Router setting?

ZyXel makes some pretty good DSL modems, routers, and switches, but not much else IMO.

Back