USB WiFi with external antenna

init6

[H]ard|Gawd
I haven't had much luck browsing the etharwebs or searching forums, but what I'm after is quite simple:

Does a USB wifi adapter with an external antenna connector even exist? If not, how difficult is it to add one, and what are the best models to do this?

I recently bought a MacBook and was horrified to discover that the excellent Atheros wifi had been replaced by the awful, Linux-hating Broadcom company's card. Not to worry, though, since I've already purchased an Atheros card to replace it (and it appears I'm not even voiding my warranty by doing this). But I don't want to drill a hole through my MacBook to connect an external antenna (which would certainly void the warranty)!

So, for wardriving and general mischief-making I figured that a USB wifi adapter, probably 802.11b since I don't need .g for wardriving, would make the perfect candidate. But not with a crappy 2dBi internal antenna...

Any interest in this? Does it already exist? Where? Etc, etc.

Thanks in advance for input.

I've found that the majority of usb wifi solutions are piss poor. Anything as small as your standard thumbdrive is gonna give awful performance. The only external USB wifi adapter I've had luck with is the Hawking HWU36D.

It was a monstrous 15-20db gain in signal - coming from a Diamond PCI 802.11g card + external antenna solution. Mind you I'm connecting from the basement all the way to the 2nd floor. My PCI solution was ~ mid 60's - upper 70's - very bad. The minute I put the Hawking in I was getting low 50's. And now that I've moved my computer to be directly 2 floors down, that signal is now low 40's.

Maybe there's new stuff that's come out in the last 1-2 years since I've had this, but I wouldn't trade it for the world. Ping is also not an issue, as I've done hours of CS:S (and now TF2) on this adapter.

Back