poee
Limp Gawd
- Joined
- Nov 15, 2005
- Messages
- 257
I want to connect my PC to a stereo receiver that is strictly analog. I tried this initially with my mobo's onboard analog line-out, but it sounded horrible through my stereo system: too much noise and distortion, and thin.
From what I've been reading on these threads, the best sound comes from an outboard DAC, as sending the audio away from the noisy environment of a PC while in the digital domain will keep it clean and allow for the best analog audio after conversion. But I've also checked out the prices on some of the DACs that have been mentioned most, and I can't handle that kind of investment at this time. So I went searching for cheaper solutions.
I found this USB-based DAC that is certainly within my budget ($99):
http://www.nuforce.com/hp/products/iconudac/index.php
I also found this S/PDIF-to-RCA analog converter that's even less expensive:
http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=5279
Would there be any discernible difference in sound quality (or functionality) between S/PDIF-to-stereo-RCA vs USB-to-stereo-RCA? I imagine the quality of the DAC would be the major factor. Sources connected to my preamp via RCA jacks (CD changer, tuner, DVD, Tivo) all sound great, except my PC via its onboard line-out.
How does audio work over USB anyway? I can see how the S/PDIF and TOSLink ports are always sending audio. Do you map the PC's audio to a specific USB port? Will the USB bus have to share this audio data with all the other data on other ports and will this cause any issues? Is there a bandwidth and/or "QoS" difference between USB 2.0 and S/PDIF? Is that audio data present at all the ports on a connected USB hub? Gah, I'm such a noob with consumer PC audio. I used to work on a Mac-based DAW about 10 years ago, and attaching balanced +4dBu TRS from a MOTU 1224 to my mixer is a different world than what I am dealing with now.
From what I've been reading on these threads, the best sound comes from an outboard DAC, as sending the audio away from the noisy environment of a PC while in the digital domain will keep it clean and allow for the best analog audio after conversion. But I've also checked out the prices on some of the DACs that have been mentioned most, and I can't handle that kind of investment at this time. So I went searching for cheaper solutions.
I found this USB-based DAC that is certainly within my budget ($99):
http://www.nuforce.com/hp/products/iconudac/index.php
I also found this S/PDIF-to-RCA analog converter that's even less expensive:
http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=5279
Would there be any discernible difference in sound quality (or functionality) between S/PDIF-to-stereo-RCA vs USB-to-stereo-RCA? I imagine the quality of the DAC would be the major factor. Sources connected to my preamp via RCA jacks (CD changer, tuner, DVD, Tivo) all sound great, except my PC via its onboard line-out.
How does audio work over USB anyway? I can see how the S/PDIF and TOSLink ports are always sending audio. Do you map the PC's audio to a specific USB port? Will the USB bus have to share this audio data with all the other data on other ports and will this cause any issues? Is there a bandwidth and/or "QoS" difference between USB 2.0 and S/PDIF? Is that audio data present at all the ports on a connected USB hub? Gah, I'm such a noob with consumer PC audio. I used to work on a Mac-based DAW about 10 years ago, and attaching balanced +4dBu TRS from a MOTU 1224 to my mixer is a different world than what I am dealing with now.