USB Token / SmartCards

LittleMe

2[H]4U
Anybody here have any experience with USB Tokens or SmartCards for Windows login? I'm looking at these. iKey 2032's for use in a 2003 server/ XP client active directory setup. I'm wondering if anybody had any problems with them or smart cards and any hickups I could hit along the way. Thanks

I toyed with some IBM SmartCard stuff a while ago, mostly for evaluation. The software support, sadly, sucked, so getting the cards set up properly was a right PITA. But once I did, it was pretty slick.

I'd sit down, stick my card in, wait a few seconds, and my desktop was there. I had configured the OS (Windows 2000) to lock the workstation (or maybe it was log me out? don't remember...) when I pulled the card out, so when I went for lunch, I just pulled it out, and stuck it in my wallet. Came back from lunch, stuck the card back in, and poof! My desktop again.

I've never used them in an AD configuration, only single-workstation. But I don't imagine it would be that difficult. Honestly, I'd recommend you get one or two as toys to evaluate, and go from there. (Though, that's always a good idea when testing out new hardware/software.) If you contact them and you have a fairly sizable potential order, they may even send you one or two to play with for a few weeks, so you wouldn't need to get a PO cleared by your CFO/boss.

Took your advice, have 10 iKey 2032's on there way. I'm looking for something along the same lines as you. I want my users to be able to plug them in, be promped for the token pin, and then it logs them in. Then when it's removed, they logoff.

Back