• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

USB sound or Onboard?

yowen

Gawd
Joined
May 20, 2011
Messages
664
So I am building a new computer tomorrow, I haven't quite decided how I want to handle sound.

It will have this motherboard.

But I also have this usb soundcard which I originally bought because my laptop was my only computer and i wanted surround sound.

For now I don't have a receiver, just a 5.1 computer speaker setup. So at this point I can't do the HDMI sound dealio.

So...
1. Just use onboard because I have cheap speakers anyway.
2. Use the Creative USB sound, because it's better (it does offer a nice equalizer).
3. Can't think of anything else, can you?

So yeah, what's you guys' opinion on this?
 
Test both and see which you like best. You have the hardware, so you aren't out anything but a little time. Aside from any features available on either of those options which you want/need, you may not notice much/if any difference, depending on your speakers. Audio is very subjective. It boils down to what YOU think sounds best.
 
the USB soundcard most definitely has better digital/analog decoding than the onboard motherboard, so still using it is probably your best option.

being that "For now [you] don't have a receiver, just a 5.1 computer speaker setup," i highly doubt you'll hear any difference, however, so... ?

sell your USB card and put the money toward an "HDMI sound dealio" receiver, as that's the next upgrade (then the speakers).
 
Back
Top