USB sound cards? Are they any good?

StormClaw

Gawd
How do the newer USB sound cards compare to the regular PCI-E cards?

I'm considering going this way because i don't have much room on the mobo with the video SLI setup.

Many if not most professional recording studios have external sound devices for recording, so I would say that they are just fine. Having the device in its own separate box allows for shielding as well so you don't pick up interference from the other devices inside your pc case. Sound devices of course are acceptable or not on a case by case basis.

External DACs and amplifiers are the best kind there is, and USB can be done well.

Last edited:
Oh wow, i'm soo out of the loop regarding Sound Cards. I just know that the internal ones are no-go because of SLI setups.

What are some of the better DACs? Preferably that could drive 300Ohm headphones (Sennheiser 650)

DAC and headphone amp is a great combination. I generally prefer to build my own, but if I were buying I'd look at (in order and depending on budget):

Schiit Modi+Magni or Bitfrost+Valhalla
O2+ODAC
FiiO E07 or E17
Asus Xonar Essence One
Woo Audio A7

Fenris covered all the ones I would have mentioned. You either get a DAC and Amp separate, and they connect directly together, or you can get a device that has both inside one box.

If I had to buy a new DAC/Amp setup now on somewhat of a budget I would go for the Modi+Magni combo. They will go perfectly well for HD650.

I use 2 external DACs, one for top quality stereo, another for very good 5.1 and an internal soundcard for mic in.
If you get a good enough DAC (with partnering equipment that is good quality too), even different USB leads can have a noticeable effect, but it depends if you care about fine tweaking.

Fenris covered all the ones I would have mentioned. You either get a DAC and Amp separate, and they connect directly together, or you can get a device that has both inside one box.

I'd rather prefer a device that has both components in one box. I don't like to have too many separate devices because of all the wires, connections and space issues.

I'd rather prefer a device that has both components in one box. I don't like to have too many separate devices because of all the wires, connections and space issues.

In that case, then I would say O2+ODAC. It's in 1 box. A bit more expensive for aurguably the same level of performance. And not nearly as pretty :p

$298.63 for O2+ODAC, and looks like:
http://www.jdslabs.com/images/O2/BlackO2/O2BlackEdition_02.jpg

Or $212.81 for Schiit Modi+Magni and looks like:
http://schiit.com/cart/images/magni_04.jpg

They are separete sure, but just stack em IMO.

Last edited:

The Modus/Magni stack on top of each other and match visually. You only need a single RCA cable pair to connect the two, just get a 6" long one and you'll never know it's there. Put a small blob of clear silicone adhesive between the two and they'll stay together under normal use and can be separated if need be.

I use 2 external DACs, one for top quality stereo, another for very good 5.1 and an internal soundcard for mic in.
If you get a good enough DAC (with partnering equipment that is good quality too), even different USB leads can have a noticeable effect, but it depends if you care about fine tweaking.

http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/Intro/SQ/USB_SPDIF.htm

Not really unless your DAC implementation is bad. More like if you get a bad enough DAC different USB leads could have a miniscule effect on jitter.

Otherwise, it's likely to be bitperfect to the analog output of the dac at which point your signal is more prone to degradation.

Cables basically don't matter in audio unless they're broken or run stupidly like incorrectly sized, parallel to power wire, grounded wrong. That's especially true for things like USB and optical connections. It's amazing that people who know how interconnects are built on the crossovers of even high end speakers or stock headphone wires would go and put far more expensive and exotic cabling down the chain.

http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/Intro/SQ/USB_SPDIF.htm

Not really unless your DAC implementation is bad. More like if you get a bad enough DAC different USB leads could have a miniscule effect on jitter.

Otherwise, it's likely to be bitperfect to the analog output of the dac at which point your signal is more prone to degradation.
Yes really.
I've experienced this myself having made my own USB cables which reveal more detail and give slightly deeper bass extension.
My DACs are both £1100

Cables basically don't matter in audio unless they're broken or run stupidly like incorrectly sized, parallel to power wire, grounded wrong. That's especially true for things like USB and optical connections. It's amazing that people who know how interconnects are built on the crossovers of even high end speakers or stock headphone wires would go and put far more expensive and exotic cabling down the chain.

Believe what you want, I know different.
You dont need to spend silly money if you are sensible.

HiFi News did a USB cable group test in their July 2013 issue showing some measured differences and reported on the audible changes.

Thanks for all replies guys, much appreciated.

The Woo Audio A7 DAC that Fenris posted looks pretty neat.

Any idea if it can power decent passive monitor speakers?

That is really sweet and looks to be a decent buy on first inspection.

You shouldnt use it to drive loudspeakers directly, the amplifier is to drive headphones which need orders of magnitude less power and have much higher impedance generally.
Putting lower impedance speakers on it could saturate the amp before you get any meaningful output.
If you have very sensitive loudspeakers (ie 96dB/w+) it may be usable but you need to clear that with the DAC manufacturer.

Its probably better to use a good set of self powered speakers or a good separate amplifier (my preference as it allows an easier speaker upgrade path).

I've been using an older Creative Labs USB sound card for the past 5 or so years and honestly have no complaints (other than lack of software support from Creative... only generic Microsoft drivers work with 7)

Sound good and leaves me more room in the case. Also makes swapping between Speakers, Surround Sound and Headphones much easier.

Thanks for all replies guys, much appreciated.

The Woo Audio A7 DAC that Fenris posted looks pretty neat.

Any idea if it can power decent passive monitor speakers?

I don't think WA7 is capable of driving passive monitors. it is built as a headphone amp and it does not even have a preamp function if I remember correctly.

Damn, that is one sexy DAC. I should have never came back into this thread.

Pretty happy with my DacMagic Plus, though. Maybe if the Woo was balanced...

Back