USB serial port won't work on resume from hibernation.

Socket7

n00b
I'm having some annoying USB issues in my car computer, and I hope that someone here can help me out with this.

I use a keyspan 4 port Serial adaptor, conected to a self powered USB hub for my GPS. When I Cold boot the machine, everything works fine. The problem comes when the machine resumes from hibernation. The system powers up, but the serial adaptor doesn't get reinitialized. All the lights on the adaptor stay off, including the link light for the adaptor on the USB hub. Unplugging the adaptor and plugging it back in DOES make it work again, but opening my glovebox, unplugging a cable, waiting 30 seconds and plugging it back in on a different port is not a satisfactory fix for me. It's ugly, and it causes my GPS software to flip out.

If anyone knows how to force the adaptor to start up again, preferrably before the desktop comes back up,(thus preventing my GPS software from freaking out) I'd love to know.

PS: Please note that I cannot remove any of the components of my setup. I will roll my eyes and sigh in annoyance if people reccomend removing, or using a different USB hub. (I've gone through 3 at this point.) :p

My ESP isn't working this morning (haven't had my coffee yet) :) , so I don't know what OS your running. However, I seem to remember a windows update for maybe 2000 and/or XP that fixed USB devices not responding after coming out of hibernation. Have you tried going through Microsoft's Knowledge Base, looking for it?

Sorry, It's winXP SP2. I have all the latest updates for it, but I will check the knowledge base right now and see if they have anything useful.

EDIT:

Just looked, and they do know about the issue in windows 2000. Unfortunately their "fix" for it, is to tell me not to hibernate the computer with USB devices connected, or to unplug the device and plug it back in. :rolleyes:

or you can try going into device manager and then to the USB root hub/hubs and hit the properties there, then goto power management tab and uncheck allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.....that might do the trick for you

Back