Mark Rejhon
[H]ard|Gawd
- Joined
- Jul 6, 2004
- Messages
- 1,395
Hello all,
I want to test computer monitors, with such a sensor, and my own custom app.
-- Does any Spyder colorimeters have a high-speed capturing mode that allows real-time monitoring of light output from the computer monitor?
-- Alternatively, does any other light sensor have a high speed capture mode, capable of photometric light measurements timecoded at millisecond precision (or better)?
-- Something inexpensive (e.g. less than $300) is desirable, something that everyman/blogs/reviewers is easily able to purchase/borrow for themselves.
As a C/C++/C# programmer, I am presently researching the viability of a computer-based benchmark application, that can use an inexpensive off-the-shelf sensor, to measures: "motion resolution", "LCD lag", and "backlight PWM flicker" measurements. My ultimate goal (eventually) is to create a "Monitor Performance Benchmark" app that covers the following.
...Measure input lag.
The benchmark app can change image, and measure the amount of time elapsed before the sensor detects light (stopwatch measurement starts at the beginning of VSYNC).
...Measure backlight flicker
The benchmark app can use this to detect annoying PWM-dimming backlights (a frame would flicker several times in repeats), scanning backlights for gaming (a frame would flicker once), and black frame insertion for gaming (a frame would flicker once), and the ability to turn them off for flicker-free (steady light when scanning/BFI is turned off via OSD menu).
...Measure predicted motion resolution
The benchmark app would run a suite of tests, to detect the existence of scanning behavior (CRT or OLED or plasma or scanning backlight LCD or black frame insertion LCD), and then display a predicted motion-resolution score (e.g. "Your monitor has a computed motion resolution of 237").
The software would have other benchmarks, such as a fast-moving resolution test pattern, and simulated fast-smooth-scrolling browser window (human verification check of motion resolution) , to allow 60 Hz vs 120 Hz vs 240 Hz vs 480 Hz comparisions (simulated via some scanning/refresh mechanism, instead of motion interpolation), etc -- similiar to pre-existing Blu-Ray motion resolution benchmark tests that already exist in the home theater world.
A lot of the eqiupment used to be expensive, but it appears there are a lot of cheap sensors now, and now I'm interested in which computer-connectable light sensors are fast enough to allow me to do this C/C++/C# project using DirectX API's. As I'm okay with a soldering iron, I'm sure I could do it within a week using Digikey/Arduino parts for under $100, but I want a mass-market thingy (e.g. commandering a Spyder sensor for a purpose it wasn't originally intended for) so that everybody else can get the sensor easily, for use with the benchmark program I want to write.
There are existing testers, such as Lagom.nl and Softpedia instructoins, side-by-side CRT-and-LCD monitor test with high speed camera, as well as manual measurements with a digital camera -- but I want something easy and automated, connect a Spyder sensor, suction-cup it to the centre of a monitor, and just run the benchmark and get scores fairly accurate (+/- 1ms) to CRT+LCD side-by-side testing that is often used by some testers.
A computer-connected SLR camera (capable of 1000 fps, even if it's just a 16-pixel-tall image), is an alternative option, but those would be more expensive than building your own USB-connected photodiode sensor, or hacking a Nintendo Zapper lightgun (1980's technology has sufficient precision! It was designed to measure light precisely enough to catch a CRT in mid-horizontal-scan; it's far better than 1/100,000sec precision!), or building an Arduino+photodiode USB accessory for my PC. I'm just wondering if there's off-the-shelf photodiode sensors that have sufficient speed & resolution, to allow "out-of-the-box" monitor performance benchmarking today.
(P.S. I wouldn't mind teaming up with others, free, charitable, open-source, commercial, or proprietary -- for this. As long as the benchmark can be made publicly available and the sensor is publicly available.)
Thanks,
Mark Rejhon
I want to test computer monitors, with such a sensor, and my own custom app.
-- Does any Spyder colorimeters have a high-speed capturing mode that allows real-time monitoring of light output from the computer monitor?
-- Alternatively, does any other light sensor have a high speed capture mode, capable of photometric light measurements timecoded at millisecond precision (or better)?
-- Something inexpensive (e.g. less than $300) is desirable, something that everyman/blogs/reviewers is easily able to purchase/borrow for themselves.
As a C/C++/C# programmer, I am presently researching the viability of a computer-based benchmark application, that can use an inexpensive off-the-shelf sensor, to measures: "motion resolution", "LCD lag", and "backlight PWM flicker" measurements. My ultimate goal (eventually) is to create a "Monitor Performance Benchmark" app that covers the following.
...Measure input lag.
The benchmark app can change image, and measure the amount of time elapsed before the sensor detects light (stopwatch measurement starts at the beginning of VSYNC).
...Measure backlight flicker
The benchmark app can use this to detect annoying PWM-dimming backlights (a frame would flicker several times in repeats), scanning backlights for gaming (a frame would flicker once), and black frame insertion for gaming (a frame would flicker once), and the ability to turn them off for flicker-free (steady light when scanning/BFI is turned off via OSD menu).
...Measure predicted motion resolution
The benchmark app would run a suite of tests, to detect the existence of scanning behavior (CRT or OLED or plasma or scanning backlight LCD or black frame insertion LCD), and then display a predicted motion-resolution score (e.g. "Your monitor has a computed motion resolution of 237").
The software would have other benchmarks, such as a fast-moving resolution test pattern, and simulated fast-smooth-scrolling browser window (human verification check of motion resolution) , to allow 60 Hz vs 120 Hz vs 240 Hz vs 480 Hz comparisions (simulated via some scanning/refresh mechanism, instead of motion interpolation), etc -- similiar to pre-existing Blu-Ray motion resolution benchmark tests that already exist in the home theater world.
A lot of the eqiupment used to be expensive, but it appears there are a lot of cheap sensors now, and now I'm interested in which computer-connectable light sensors are fast enough to allow me to do this C/C++/C# project using DirectX API's. As I'm okay with a soldering iron, I'm sure I could do it within a week using Digikey/Arduino parts for under $100, but I want a mass-market thingy (e.g. commandering a Spyder sensor for a purpose it wasn't originally intended for) so that everybody else can get the sensor easily, for use with the benchmark program I want to write.
There are existing testers, such as Lagom.nl and Softpedia instructoins, side-by-side CRT-and-LCD monitor test with high speed camera, as well as manual measurements with a digital camera -- but I want something easy and automated, connect a Spyder sensor, suction-cup it to the centre of a monitor, and just run the benchmark and get scores fairly accurate (+/- 1ms) to CRT+LCD side-by-side testing that is often used by some testers.
A computer-connected SLR camera (capable of 1000 fps, even if it's just a 16-pixel-tall image), is an alternative option, but those would be more expensive than building your own USB-connected photodiode sensor, or hacking a Nintendo Zapper lightgun (1980's technology has sufficient precision! It was designed to measure light precisely enough to catch a CRT in mid-horizontal-scan; it's far better than 1/100,000sec precision!), or building an Arduino+photodiode USB accessory for my PC. I'm just wondering if there's off-the-shelf photodiode sensors that have sufficient speed & resolution, to allow "out-of-the-box" monitor performance benchmarking today.
(P.S. I wouldn't mind teaming up with others, free, charitable, open-source, commercial, or proprietary -- for this. As long as the benchmark can be made publicly available and the sensor is publicly available.)
Thanks,
Mark Rejhon
Last edited: