USB Printing on Thin Client?

Suprnova04

Limp Gawd
I'm trying to figure out how to, if possible, print from a thin client to a locally connected USB only printer. Anyone know?

The thin client model is: HP Compaq t5000
The printer model is: HP Laserjet 3005dn

Thanks guys!
-Dan-

Yea it is possible but what OS in the thin client running? IE most run windows ce, xp embeded, or linux.

As long as HP makes drivers for the printer for the OS the think client runs it can be setup. I haven't messed with the hp thin clients so I really can't comment on what they run.

That printer has an ethernet port on it though. Why not just run it over the network?

As for the operating system, the thin clients are running Windows CE v.5 (build 1400). When i go to add a printer the options are COM and LPT1... no USB...

As for why not network it... this is going to be in someone's office as opposed to being shared, and we don't want to run another LAN line in...

any ideas?

thanks

With CE you have to add usb print driver support.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms893782.aspx

Haven't tried this before but it should point you in the right direction(I've only used nt embeded and later xp embeded ones).

If that doesn't work I'd say get a mini switch and throw it in his office. Can't comment on the printers support for ce either as that might be an issue.

Ok, i'll look into this.. thanks

Yea no problem. I don't think HP makes ce drivers for that printer but it might be able to use other hp pcl or postscript drivers from other printers.

As I said I just don't have the CE experience other then knowing that thier was a way to enable usb print drivers.

Just by looking at the model number the printer should have a Jetdirect NIC in it so you can just plug it in via ethernet.

You should be able to use the Laserjet 4 or 5 drivers if you can't find a specific driver for it. They seem to work with almost all laserjets.

Just by looking at the model number the printer should have a Jetdirect NIC in it so you can just plug it in via ethernet.

like i said, i don't want to have to drop another LAN line into an office if I can help it.

ND40oz said:
You should be able to use the Laserjet 4 or 5 drivers if you can't find a specific driver for it. They seem to work with almost all laserjets.

Thanks for the info! Will check that out..

Back