USB ports trying to kill me (big blue sparks)

Andrew87

Limp Gawd
I was installing updated drivers for my Logitech USB Driving Force Wheel and it told me to insert the USB cable, I had the power adapter for the wheel connected and when I put the USB cable onto a port a huge blue spark kept coming out and made a noise. Nothing seems to be damaged; is this normal? Also my front two USB ports don't seem to recognize the wheel whereas the internal motherboard USB connectors at the back do, any ideas?

Are the sparks coming from when you plug the steering wheel into your front USB ports(not working) or into the the back USB ports(that work)?

If so, you may have the front(case) USB ports plugged into the motherboard backwards. Consult your motherboard manual.

I used to get this anytime I touched my old usb cable modem... got the shock of my life from that... I relaly don't know what causes it... haven't had it recently really... but try plugging it in when it's turned off? hahahaha

Originally posted by workingnonstop
:rolleyes: Of course it's normal! It makes gaming more exciting when your computer catches fire. :D

ok, well i knew its not normal but it may happen sometimes so i was just making sure.

Originally posted by DocFaustus
:Are the sparks coming from when you plug the steering wheel into your front USB ports(not working) or into the the back USB ports(that work)?

If so, you may have the front(case) USB ports plugged into the motherboard backwards. Consult your motherboard manual.

I thought of this too but I have two ports in the front and it only happens to one of them. The spark is immediately noticable from the top front port but not really noticeable in the back usb ports unless you purposely 'rub' it against metal connectors instead of pushing it straight it. The steering wheel power adapter is a 200 - 240V plug.

Originally posted by Munka
I used to get this anytime I touched my old usb cable modem... got the shock of my life from that... I relaly don't know what causes it... haven't had it recently really... but try plugging it in when it's turned off? hahahaha

Yeah but that's not really plug and play and doesn't help when installing drivers :p.

While this will not exactly solve your problem. There is a possable work around for it.

Unplug the steering wheel at the wheel itself

Plug it into the USB port.

Now reattache the plug to the steering wheel (maybe that attachment will not spark).

It will still be hot swappable and the OS will not see it until the steering wheel portion is attached. An added bonus is you can leave the pedals and wires where they are and only plug in the wheel portion when needed.

Thanks for the suggestion although the steering wheel is attached to the USB cable and can't be physically removed. The pedals plug into the wheel though and so does the power adaptor. I'm guessing it's a power adaptor issue and next time I'll plug in the power adaptor after the USB cable is connected.

Good luck bud. I own the Logitech Formula Force USB Wheel, and assumed it would plug in the same way. Seems your solution will work almost as good though.

Back