USB ports losing power

Nebell

2[H]4U
This happens when my external HDDs are doing heavy work.
For example, when I'm copying photos from my SD-card to one of my external HDDs, even though it's only 90mb/s, my racing wheel (also connected via USB) starts disconnecting and reconnecting every 10 seconds or so. Which is weird as it's connected straight through the motherboard.
This does not happen with my keyboard or mouse, just the wheel and sometimes HDDs as well.
The PSU is EVGA Supernova 750W G2 and peak PC power consumption is about 200w (I have no GPU installed).

Any ideas?

This happens when my external HDDs are doing heavy work.
For example, when I'm copying photos from my SD-card to one of my external HDDs, even though it's only 90mb/s, my racing wheel (also connected via USB) starts disconnecting and reconnecting every 10 seconds or so. Which is weird as it's connected straight through the motherboard.
This does not happen with my keyboard or mouse, just the wheel and sometimes HDDs as well.
The PSU is EVGA Supernova 750W G2 and peak PC power consumption is about 200w (I have no GPU installed).

Any ideas?

Done the easy checks like make sure it's not the cable? Will one disconnect if you wiggle it a bit?

I've had a hub go bad, it was on my monitor though.

Done the easy checks like make sure it's not the cable? Will one disconnect if you wiggle it a bit?

I've had a hub go bad, it was on my monitor though.

The cable is fine, it just happens when I transfer files. It's weird because it keeps disconnecting the wheel which is connected straight to the motherboard and it has nothing to do with file transfer.
But it's not just the wheel which disconnects. Sometimes other HDDs disconnect as well.

The cable is fine, it just happens when I transfer files. It's weird because it keeps disconnecting the wheel which is connected straight to the motherboard and it has nothing to do with file transfer.
But it's not just the wheel which disconnects. Sometimes other HDDs disconnect as well.

You can try messing with the W10 USB power options and see if that helps. Otherwise sounds like the mobo is having problems.

Are these external HDD's with their own power source? Could be pulling too much power otherwise.

Yeah, sounds like your HDD is trying to pull too much power from the USB port. I've had something similar occur when using an external slim DVD-RW drive that got all of it's power from the USB cable.

Do you have both USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 ports available? If so, try a USB 3.0 port, since they deliver more power. You can also try connecting your HDD through an external powered USB hub instead, since it will be pulling it's power from the hub at that point instead of your computer.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll give them a go.
I think I have a powered USB hub somewhere, just not sure about its power source haha

Back