USB Plug For Idiots

I thought it was already mostly universal where usb plugs have that "three pronged symbol" on the side that's up or facing inwards if its sideways

I thought it was already mostly universal where usb plugs have that "three pronged symbol" on the side that's up or facing inwards if its sideways

Define "inwards" on a desktop which has no obvious "inside" panel (that is no clear panel or such) most people don't realize there is such a thing because most people never open their PCs (and some desks require it be on R side and some on L side, depending on design).

Also had quite a few devices (not the host-plug, the client plug) which went in with the USB-logo down (Samsung Intrepid is first to come to mind)

If I have a system people are going to regularly plug in new devices (with no front-panel USB) then I ALWAYS add either a hub or a USB extension cable. otherwise your just ASKING for people (especially older people) to break the host port...

Every time I attempt to plug in a USB device I have to look at the cable because it always ends up being upside down. Every single time. The device end of USB cables is great because it's keyed to go in one way and it's easy to see. The PC end is the pain. This mechanical contraption doesn't look like much of a fix though.

An overly complicated, mechanical (ie more prone to failure) method to support laziness. I'll stick with figuring out which way the USB plug needs to be oriented and save myself the extra cost associated with purchasing and then repurchasing a device that uses this.

I agree. USB is so simple a monkey could do it.

We've seen those slim USB thumb drives that look half width of normal ones... now we need to combine that technology with this technology to create... a double sided USB thumb drive! Different files depending on which way the drive was inserted! The Double Sided Driver!

What? You say your wife already has one?

When I'm trying to plug something into a USB port I can't see, I seem to always choose the wrong orientation first. It's one of those things like buttered toast always landing butter side down when you drop it.

Yep, no point trying to out think it there. Its always wrong and if by chance you get it right you think youv'e broken it cos it never goes in first time.

Imagine the man hour savings had they made a symetrical design.

How about a double sided USB fob, where you have $BIGNUM of storage on each side. Think 2 128GB USB sticks in the form factor of one.

It ALWAYS takes two tries to get a USB plug in. X_X

It's one of those unexplainable quandarys of the cosmos. I'll sometimes even try to trick it by flipping the connector around at the last second before I try plugging it in, but it's still always facing the wrong direction.

It's one of those unexplainable quandarys of the cosmos. I'll sometimes even try to trick it by flipping the connector around at the last second before I try plugging it in, but it's still always facing the wrong direction.

Totally agree on this but I also always have difficulties with SATA connectors.

Why not just put " this side up" like on fragile packaging???? But then again it ONLY GOES IN ONE WAY!!!!!!! I can tell you the frustration I feel when talking to customers that cant get this around their heads.

Back