HardOCP News
[H] News
- Joined
- Dec 31, 1969
- Messages
- 0
At first, I laughed at this USB plug concept but then it hit me...this is actually a brilliant idea. Check out the concept images.
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Agreed. That, or make it obvious (and universal!) which side of the port and plug go up.a workaround for something that should have never happened in the first place: USB's rectangular connectors were a bad choice.
I don't know about that. I understand your cost argument, but what if the springs/moving parts break on a usb port on a laptop? Then the port is shot and fixing that is a pain to say the least. Desoldering and soldering on a new USB port on a motherboard is difficult. A motherboard swap is expensive and will possibly trigger Microsoft's activation.Agreed. That, or make it obvious (and universal!) which side of the port and plug go up.
This idea is brilliant, and I can only hope it makes it to market. Actually, I'd take a different tack: because of the unavoidably higher cost, this concept should be applied to the host side off the connection
I don't know about that. I understand your cost argument, but what if the springs/moving parts break on a usb port on a laptop? Then the port is shot and fixing that is a pain to say the least. Desoldering and soldering on a new USB port on a motherboard is difficult. A motherboard swap is expensive and will possibly trigger Microsoft's activation.
It's also not consistent even for Dell monitors--you can't see the ports on the side without leaning around, so you just have to guess how they oriented the ports on your particular model.USB plugs on monitors vary in orientation from monitor to monitor. My work HP monitor has a different orientation than my home Dell monitor. I can definitely see the usefulness of this.
If you read [H] you don't need something like this. It's the people that you help out, you know who they are, that can benefit from this. I agree it's a good laugh at first, but it is a good idea for "Joe 6-pack".
yay lets have power and ground pins right separated by a insignificant gap.. That will totally work. If they wanted it designed that way, they would have. Alot more goes into designing a connector than some simple drawings, there are many mechanical and electrical considerations(and alot of math).
USB 3.0 is pretty much idiot proof now... I always hated reaching behind any random computer to plug in a USB plug and i would have it backwards so I'd have to twist the cable and hold it tight 180 degrees the other way to plug it in.
USB 3.0 seems to have half black/half blue so you can see which way it goes much easier... no?
All those people blasting this idea for being "for lazy and stupid people" must not ever try to blindly plug a USB cable/device into the back of a computer that sits under a desk and up against a wall...
I think a more practical way to do this would be to remove the keying from the connector on Microsoft's Kinect. Since their are already pins on both sides, the connector could easily be modified to be fully reversible.