USB pen drive password protect software?

JHay

Limp Gawd
I have a San Disk USB Micro Cruzer 512MB keychain/pen drive. The software that came with the drive doesn't prevent users from accessing or viewing the data, it encrypts the data instead (which renders the file useless, but makes the file take up more space).

I'm looking for something that prompts the user for a password before the directories are displayed. Any ideas?

Not gonna happen. That would require software to be installed on the computer, which can't be guaranteed (IE I put your USB drive in my PC).

File encryption is the only solution, AFAIK.

you could allways double zip them and password protect both. Its kinda lame, but it would work.

Phoenix86 said:
Not gonna happen. That would require software to be installed on the computer, which can't be guaranteed (IE I put your USB drive in my PC).

File encryption is the only solution, AFAIK.

Well there goes my question. Just wondering the same thing because I will be issueing PYN flash drives to Officers soon. (I work for a Police department) I was wondering this because some of the data that could be contained on it, if the officer losses it.

You could use a Cryptainer volume. The software lets you create a portable container on the flash drive, up to 25mb, 128bit Blowfish (free version). It has an executable on the drive, just run it, then you'll be prompted for the password, then a new drive is mounted and you can use them as you like. When you are done, close it out, then the drive is unmounted.

I like true crypt, possibly the strongest encryption software out there. Link, it is open source and has may options for encryption. Also comes with a usermanuel through pdf file and beginner guide. You wouldnt be able to use software that password protects a folder because that software has to be running at all times, and on a seperate computer, it most likely wont be. Encryption is the way to go.

Back