USB Parallel Printer Port Vista Supported?

cyclone9

Weaksauce
Hi ,

12345pb2.png

How can i select a usb port? Dotmatrix printer..
Currently im using windows vista

Anyone could help me?

most USB printers require their own drivers because they are not standard USB-HID devices (which is all that Windows generally has built in). Hence why you're not seeing it in the default list. Grab the drivers for the printer from the respective web site and install them -- that should take care of your problem.

I'm not sure this usb parallel port supports vista, the cd they gave doesnt have vista driver nor their website has it. Could there be any other usb parallel port drivers which i cant use. I'm sure functionality would be the same.

PLease help

EDIT : My printer driver is iinside, the thing is the adapter printer parrallel to usb port need a driver too, Does COMPAQ PC's have LPT1 ports? i cant see mine

it only have Win98 and WinME
anyway can i create a generic Virtual USB driver?

Let's get some more details here-

1) What model printer is this?
2) What model Compaq is this?

Some clarification please. You are calling it a "usb parallel port" which is it? USB or parallel? USB is a serial port. If it is a printer with a parallel interface it connects to the PC's 25 pin parallel port and you would normally manually configure it as LPT1.

it is conversion of LPT(parallel port) to usb port
my printer is Panasonic KXP-1121 dot matrix , this printer driver is available in Vista. I could see it, but the problem is the USB to Parallel(LPT) adapter need a driver for vista , so that i can choose the port to " Virtual USB Port"

OK, makes more sense now. If your motherboard has a parallel port then I would connect the printer to it and ditch the adapter. What happens when you connect just the USB to parallel cable to your PC? Do you get a new hardware detected message?

I brought COMPAQ PC , but it didn't have LPT1 port nor serial port... could possible inside the pc? :X
My Vista just detect the device as "Unknown device".

Check in the BIOS for settings for a parallel port. If you find some then the motherboard supports it. If the physical connector is missing that could be a pain. In that case there is likely a header (double row of pins) on the motherboard that you connect a ribbon cable with the connector on it to. If you don't have that dongle it could be a pain finding one. Keep looking for a driver for your USB to parallel port dongle. Have you tried using the XP driver.

Check in the BIOS for settings for a parallel port. If you find some then the motherboard supports it. If the physical connector is missing that could be a pain. In that case there is likely a header (double row of pins) on the motherboard that you connect a ribbon cable with the connector on it to. If you don't have that dongle it could be a pain finding one. Keep looking for a driver for your USB to parallel port dongle. Have you tried using the XP driver.

I'm starting to suspect that he has a USB->Parallel adapter that he was using on the old computer.

I'm starting to suspect that he has a USB->Parallel adapter that he was using on the old computer.
That's what he's trying to use.

First, I'm surprised anyone's still using a dot matrix printer anymore. Good times.

Secondly, have you tried either going to the manufacturer of the adapter to see if they hav an updated driver, or trying the XP driver, as someone else suggested? You may have to load it manually to get it to take.

nop,
previously i have an old computer with LPT port, with this COMPAQ i couldn't find the port at teh back... so i brought USB>Parallel port ....

whats the brand of the USB -----> parallel port adapter? tried googling for the driver for it?

iam surprised there are vista drivers for this dot matrix printer in vista.. i had a HP 3820 - 4 yr old printer that wasnt supported for Vista... ended up throwing it out (died anyways)

props to panasonic for making vista drivers for legacy printers?

whats the brand of the USB -----> parallel port adapter? tried googling for the driver for it?

iam surprised there are vista drivers for this dot matrix printer in vista.. i had a HP 3820 - 4 yr old printer that wasnt supported for Vista... ended up throwing it out (died anyways)

props to panasonic for making vista drivers for legacy printers?

no props really needed. supporting dot-matrix is EASY on any OS. you can bit bang the driver together in (literally) about an hour, tops. dot-matrix is almost the definition of what an LPT is supposed to do, so it's well understood and easy to implement.

Back