USB over network?

Neuffy

Limp Gawd
My situation is thus:

I have a 600 MHz PIII laptop in one room, along with a Zoom H4 recording device. The laptop is not really fast enough to record with, though. The H4 acts as an in/out usb sound card, as well as having pretty decent dual mics built in.

In other rooms, I have several other computers all fast enough to record with.

What I am wondering is this: Could I use a USB over Network-type program to set up the H4 as a device for one of the faster computers, using the laptop as a simple router [which it would be fast enough for?]?

I'm not sure if speed or latency would be an issue, but if anyone has any program recommendations to try, I'd be appreciative.

Thanks.

I know at work we're using some USB peripherals over Cat5, and it works just fine. We have a USB-->Cat5 converter on one end, and then the opposite on the other (~50ft). This isn't run over the network though, it's basically using the Cat5 as an extension cable. Granted the devices are a barcode scanner and a display/keypad. I think what you want to do is possible, but I don't know off hand what exactly we use. I'll look into it.

Well, thanks for the suggestions. Fiddled around a bit, abject failure.

Perhaps I'll just see about wiring USB cable directly, with a hub or two...

Back