USB over IP hardware server, software client?

Red Squirrel

[H]F Junkie
I am looking for a solution where I can plug a USB device into it, configure it with an IP, then install software on a remote system and have the USB device show up as if it was plugged into that PC, then I would install the drivers for the device.

Is there such thing as this? Basically, I want to plug a USB device somewhere on the network, into a VM that is in our ESX environment, without having to physically attach it to one of the hosts then force the VM to not move. I want it to be software based at the VM end, but not require a computer at the device end.

I'm finding lot of stuff on Google, so I'll continue going through, but if anyone has used something like this before, it would be great to hear of it.

Edit: This looks like it may do what I want, but not much details.

http://www.siig.com/it-products/device-server/usb-over-ip/usb-over-ip-1-port.html

Last edited:
The siig one is terrible. I tried it with a client a while back, but had to replace it because it just wasn't reliable. I switched them to a Belkin network usb hub that has been pretty stable. The software isn't great and doesn't run as a service, so I have to leave a console session open to maintain the connection, though.

we use the digi usbanywhere hardware pretty extensively little spendy but it just works in any environment that I throw at it

Back