USB NIC + USB Printer = Networked Printer?

MiXdNuTs

Gawd
I don't think this would work at all, but my boss seems to think otherwise. If I took a USB printer and plugged a USB Network Interface Card into it (/w A/B adapter of course) would I be able to connect to the printer with our print server? I dont't think this would work because the printer would not have drivers for the NIC and the NIC doesn't have printer drivers. Thanks.

You'd need a "print server" to do what you want to do.

I have a brand new Linksys with 4-ports on it here if you're interested.

We run a software printserver on one of our Racked Dell Poweredges with Server2003. We have like 1000 printers here so a little linksys print server isn't going to cut it. :)
I just wanted some second oppinions to show my boss that I know more about hardware. Thanks guy.

FYI some (not many, but some) wireless routers have a usb port included for this purpose. Notably the Apple Airport, and Asus WL-500g.

I recommend the Asus because (yes i own one) it can not only handle USB printers, but a plethora of other devices too, including a USB hub+ tree of devices (scanners etc) if required, limited only by the usb 1.1 rating of the wireless router.

Most interestingly is the fact that it can work with a usb sound card, and stream audio wirelessly to your centralised speakers. Any more info wanted on this marginal OT, i can supply.

Back