USB-Mouse over IP?

Trauts

n00b
Joined
Jan 2, 2006
Messages
43
I have a TV in one room, and a computer in another. I have an HDMI splitter that lets me have the same video/audio, regardless of which room I am in.

The problem is, I have no way to control the PC from the other room.

The best solution I've found unfortunately won't work for me: USB-over-CAT5. I'm not willing to run a CAT5 cable along the walls and ceiling to facilitate this. It would be perfect if I could put this cable in the wall...

The next best idea I have had is USB-over-IP. Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to really be a thing. The closest is USB Printer Servers, some of which support generic USB devices, but from what I've read, these usually introduce a large amount of input latency.

Another option is finding a wireless keyboard and mouse that can go through walls. This isn't a great solution because I have to sacrifice form for function.

The last idea I had is to get a very low end "computer in a box," (like rasberry pi) and use it as a Synergy server, and share keyboard/mouse that way. This seems the most practical, but also feels like it's more complicated than should be necessary.

Anyone have other ideas? Many thanks :)
 
Last edited:
So... 2 tele in 2 different rooms, and the pc in another room, both tele on hdmi/splitter to the same pc, right ?

Are you just passing the hdmi cable through the wall ? Can the hole be made a bit bigger, or would it fit a second cable like a usb extension cable ?
 
Damn that's too bad...

I did a similar setup for a customer as well, all I did is make the hole a bit bigger and passed through 2x 30 feet USB cables, one for each room and put a powered 7port USB hub on each room. She was really happy with that solution.
 
You want a WiFi mouse, controlled via phone/tablet. It will turn your device into a trackpad.

This is the first hit, haven't tested it though.
http://www.remotemouse.net/

Also, are you using any media center software? There are dedicated remote apps for most of these, just use your phone to start the movie/show.
 
I need more precision than I can get using a phone app and touchscreen. (Probably going to be playing games, not just queuing up a movie)

But that's a good idea - there's probably an app that I can hook up a keyboard+mouse using a USB-on-the-go cable, and then use my old phone instead of a pi.

Thanks for the idea! Still considering options but that may well be the best one so far, as long as it doesn't introduce too much latency.

(Incidentally, apparently a Wifi Mouse is a real thing, beyond just an android app. HP makes one. So that is an option too)
 
I found a solution... it's a bit overkill, and wireless when I wanted wired, but still $200 cheaper than that wired one I found.

(found on Amazon) IOGEAR GWHDMS52 is a wireless HDMI 4x2 matrix box.

Plug in <=4 HDMI inputs, plug into computer monitor, plug USB into computer. Then in another room, plug in receiver into HDTV, plug in USB keyboard+mouse.

Any of those 4 inputs can go to either device, and as long as performance is decent, it takes care of all my needs in one.

When I actually get the device next week, I'll report back if it does everything I wanted.
 
I found a solution... it's a bit overkill, and wireless when I wanted wired, but still $200 cheaper than that wired one I found.

(found on Amazon) IOGEAR GWHDMS52 is a wireless HDMI 4x2 matrix box.

Plug in <=4 HDMI inputs, plug into computer monitor, plug USB into computer. Then in another room, plug in receiver into HDTV, plug in USB keyboard+mouse.

Any of those 4 inputs can go to either device, and as long as performance is decent, it takes care of all my needs in one.

When I actually get the device next week, I'll report back if it does everything I wanted.
Interesting device. Overpriced for me, but I wonder if you can use a Microsoft wireless controller transceiver on that USB allowing you to couch game your PC in a different room.
 
Interesting device. Overpriced for me, but I wonder if you can use a Microsoft wireless controller transceiver on that USB allowing you to couch game your PC in a different room.

I'll let you know next week :)

there are cheaper similar devices without the matrix mode that would be well suited for sharing a pc

I'd certainly rather have paid half as much. overpriced for sure
 
Last edited:
Back
Top