USB mouse not working

Hulk

Supreme [H]ardness
I have a Dell M6400 laptop, one with the highest specs (quad core, 1GB GPU, etc). I was going to sell it so I did the Win 10 reformat where it wiped everything out. I was getting low ball offers so I decided to keep the laptop. After Win 10 is up and running again on it everything works fine except for the usb mouse!

I tried two different mice in the USB ports and the Dell M6400 does not recognize them at all, the sensor light turns red for a second and then turns off. Both mice work on my desktop. Also, flash drivers and portable HDDs also work on the laptop so I don't know what the problem is. I tried everything I can think of. Any ideas? Using the laptop mouse is driving me crazy!

EDIT: I thought I fixed it because when I was in the laptop's BIOS the mouse worked! But once I got into Windows 10 the mouse stopped working, the red light turned off.

Last edited:
Er, if the mouse works in the BIOS but not in Windows, it sounds like Windows is having difficulty loading the USB drivers. Can you double check that there are no bangs (!) in Device Manager?

It's related to the drivers, I also have a M6400 (QX9300, FX3700M) and I had the same problem last time I reinstalled Windows, USB ports were dead. Tbh I don't remember exactly what I did because I did a lot of "tweaks" until they worked lol, but last thing was to unistall them from device manager and wait for Windows Update to install some generic ones.

Reactions: Hulk
like this
OK. I will try that. Since you have the same laptop as me how do you turn on Bluetooth or pair up a Bluetooth device? I am not even sure if my laptop has bluetooth but the blue icon lights on up the keyboard for it.

OK. I will try that. Since you have the same laptop as me how do you turn on Bluetooth or pair up a Bluetooth device? I am not even sure if my laptop has bluetooth but the blue icon lights on up the keyboard for it.

I couldn't make it work with the Windows switch, I had to install a third party app to control it but I guess that depends on your WiFI/Bt card.

Reactions: Hulk
like this
Back