• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

USB memory stick is dead - can it be fixed?

HardyOne

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 17, 2004
Messages
179
A friend gave me an 8Gb memory stick (a Geek Squad brand) that has some valuable information from school that he would like to have back. When I put it in my computer (I tried it in 3 computers), it is not recognized at all. I even downloaded two separate repair programs, but they do not see it either, so cannot do any repairs. Anybody have any ideas? I thought about booting into Linux, but if it's not found using Windows, it probably won't work with Linux either. BTW, the two OS that I tried are XP Pro-32 and Win 7-64
 
I was able to fix one dead USB memory stick. I used a thermal treatment ;) remember that guy who was able to fix his vid card by putting it in the oven? well something similar

first you pre heat the oven, remove the plastic casing from your memory stick, then it's time for memory stick baking!!! I put mine around inside the oven for 5 minutes, then remove it and let it cool off. The next day I try to test it by plugging it in the PC, but it didn't work, but after a week I tried again and it work!! I just had to reformat it and it was all good!!

After that I haven't tried recovering the data out of the fixed memory stick, I dunno it could've worked.
If that data is really important for you, you should consider going to a professional data recovery company
 
Back
Top