• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

USB Key going bad?

Dakine

n00b
Joined
Aug 3, 2004
Messages
20
I was wondering if anyof you knew of a reason for my USB key to be going bad all of a sudden. I've been using it for 4 years now, with no problems. Now, three times in three weeks, it's been "wiped" when I plug it into a new computer.

Is it just old? Do they "go bad" as it were?

Lastly, I'll be looking for a new one so if you've got any sugfgestions on brands or where to buy 'em cheap, that'd be great. Thanks.

- Chris
 
Are you remembering to "safely remove hardware" before upnplugging it?
 
stuff doesnt last for ever especially capicators which is how most keyboards work... you may want to try a logitec cordless duo those work great and are wireless
 
hes talking about a usb thumbdrive, rhansen.

what brand is your drive dakine?

as far as a new ones I just got the Apacer HandySteno ht203 1gb a few days ago and I'm loving it. its like ~$80.00 at newegg
 
I don't know if they necessarily go bad with age, but at work we assigned everyone a USB key with all their new computers, and we've been noticing that they gradually become slightly less reliable. Now, we have over 300 people with these keys, and maybe 4 have gone bad, so it may have been because the users are just destroying them, but it's also possible that with age they just don't work reliably. What brand are you using? We've been assigning Apacer HandySteno's to people at work, and it would be nice to know if people are starting to, en mass, see problems with them.
 
The ismple fatc is, flash memory (such as SD memory cards, USB thumb drives, etc) wears out thorugh use over time. If you've been using it consistently for 4 years, it's probably getting close to it's lifespan and you should consider replacing it. Besides, theres bigger and better ones out now that cost way less than what you probably spent on yours 4 years ago.
 
Back
Top