• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

USB Inconsistencies: PSU issue?

Katalysis

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Aug 8, 2008
Messages
1,813
I have a Corsair TX 750 that I have been using for a long time and has now moved over to the computer in my signature. I recently upgraded to a reference 7970, and since then, my USB ports have been acting strangely--my USB 3.0 ports will not function period, and my other ports are finnicky at best (they may work, but only after being removed and plugged back in).

The strange thing is, everything else still works perfectly (AFAIK). My 2500k will still do 4.7ghz no problem. Everything was rock solid stable until I moved from the 6870 to the 7970, so that is the only change.

Power supplies are the area of PCs I am least familiar with. Any way to test if this is a PSU issue?
 
Unplug both the main power connector cable and the EPS power connector (you did plug that in, right?) and carefully inspect both ends of both of the cables and also inspect the sockets that they plug into on the motherboard. If no damage is apparent, plug them back in and make sure they are plugged in all the way.

If none of that helps, I'd suspect a driver issue and re-install your USB 2 and USB 3 drivers.
 
The best way to start troubleshooting is to set everything back to stock. If stock doesn't work properly, then you can start investigating different things.
 
Back
Top