usb headset + soundcard?

pxoint

Weaksauce
hello,

does any1 know how i can get my usb headset to work and at the same time my soundcard? it somehow deactivates the soundcard as soon as i turn my usb headset on.

thx for any reply bb

Your USB headset shouldn't deactivate your soundcard. They should both be able to function at the same time. You won't, however, be able to get sound from your soundcard through your USB headset. If it is indeed disabling your sound card then it sounds like a software issue. If you'll describe your setup and what you are trying to do then perhaps we could help you better.

k,
heres my setup:

medusa 5.1 usb headset, soundcard is onboard (MB: asus p4800c-e deluxe)

what im trying to do is to use the line-in from my soundcard. im trying to play some dreamcast on my pc (with vga box). the sound from the DC should go trough the line-in into my pc and out trough the headset.

Well what you are going to have to do is pipe the sound from the line in on the one card to the line out on the other card(the usb headset). I could probably tell you exactly how to do this in linux(and quite easily, I might add), but for some reason I am going to assume you aren't running linux. :p Hopefully someone more knowledgable in windows sound will come along and hlep. But just for starters, you do have the line in unmuted and selected to record, right?

does the USB inteface disconnect from the headset? I've got the sennhieser headset and I can unplug the USB interface and just run the headset into the soundcard, doing it this way will do what you need it to do.

its not possible to disconnect the headset from the usb, the "thing" is that as soon as i plug the headset in, the soundcard deactivates itself...

Ok this is what is happening:

When you plug the headset in windows automatically selects the USB headset as the default Playback (and maybe recording if it has a mic) device. This has the effect of making it seem like the sound card is in fact disabled (it's probably not).

To get around this there are two things you can do:

1. If your software supports it (IE: Teamspeak, Ventrillo) manually configure the sound input/output device in the software (do this when the headset is connected so you can see both devices on the list).

2. If your software doesn't have this option:
Go to Control panel->sounds and audio devices->audio tab. Select the device you want sound (input or output) from and click OK. Now start the software you want to hear through your speakers (IE: Windows Media Player). Now repeat these steps and select the other device that you want sound from and open the software you want to hear through it.

I am taking this knowledge from experience that I have with a USB sound card.

Canon said:
Ok this is what is happening:

When you plug the headset in windows automatically selects the USB headset as the default Playback (and maybe recording if it has a mic) device. This has the effect of making it seem like the sound card is in fact disabled (it's probably not).

To get around this there are two things you can do:

1. If your software supports it (IE: Teamspeak, Ventrillo) manually configure the sound input/output device in the software (do this when the headset is connected so you can see both devices on the list).

2. If your software doesn't have this option:
Go to Control panel->sounds and audio devices->audio tab. Select the device you want sound (input or output) from and click OK. Now start the software you want to hear through your speakers (IE: Windows Media Player). Now repeat these steps and select the other device that you want sound from and open the software you want to hear through it.

I am taking this knowledge from experience that I have with a USB sound card.

thx ima go try that as soon as im home :>

Back