• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

USB headset mainly for music

Blomman

n00b
Joined
May 11, 2011
Messages
7
I've decided it's time for me to purchase a new heaset seeing as my Koss SB45 is falling to pieces. I've decided to go with a USB headset this time because it will hopefully provide better sound quality than the 5 year old onboard sound card I'm using now.
I will use the headset mainly for listening to music, mostly rock, instrumental and classical. But ofcourse I'll also be using it for speaking with friends while playing games. I'm willing to pay up to 100 euros or 140 dollars.

So far I've been considering the following headsets, leaning more towards the Tactic3D Sigma:

Creative Sound Blaster Tactic3D Sigma
Arctic Sound P531
Plantronics GameCom 777

Do you guys have any experience about these headsets or any other headset that might fit my criterias?
 
Heheh yes, I am aware of those reviews. Your review of the Sigma was especially well written and informative and partially what made me interested in it :). I am however also interested in hearing other users experience with USB headsets, and not only the headsets I've listed.
 
Wait, you're looking for a USB headset primarily for music? You're barking up the wrong tree...

How about this:

Superlux HD-668 B
Behringer UCA202
Zalman Clip-on Mic

I don't think there's a USB headset that can even begin to compete with that setup in audio quality...
Read reviews for the Superlux headphones here and the UCA202 here. You would even have enough money left over to get a more comfortable pair of AKG K-240 velour ear pads here from Thomann.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I suggest you consider a USB external DAC/amp, like the low end Fiio or Nuforce offerings. Then, get decent headphones to use with that source.
 
Wait, you're looking for a USB headset primarily for music? You're barking up the wrong tree...

How about this:

Superlux HD-668 B
Behringer UCA202
Zalman Clip-on Mic

I don't think there's a USB headset that can even begin to compete with that setup in audio quality...
Read reviews for the Superlux headphones here and the UCA202 here. You would even have enough money left over to get a more comfortable pair of AKG K-240 velour ear pads here from Thomann.

i agree, going this route should give you much better bang for your buck. along the same lines as Blackbeard Ben's suggestion:

ASUS Xonar DG
Zalman clip on mic
Grado SR80i's

i'm blindly suggesting the Grado's as i've never listened to them, so take that for what it's worth. i hear they're excellent for rock/metal music though.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
i agree, going this route should give you much better bang for your buck. along the same lines as Blackbeard Ben's suggestion:

ASUS Xonar DG
Zalman clip on mic
Grado SR80i's

i'm blindly suggesting the Grado's as i've never listened to them, so take that for what it's worth. i hear they're excellent for rock/metal music though.

Well, if he's in Europe (as I suspect by the Euro price range), Grados will automatically be out of his price range. Even the Alessandro MS-1i will be above it at $110 shipped from the US, once you include VAT and the cost of a sound card plus mic.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks for your replies, I really appreciate it. I honestly never even considered buying all the equipment separately since I thought it would be more expensive than buying a headset but I realize now that doesn't necessarily have to be the case.
Anyway, Yes I'm from Sweden which means the actual market is quite limited unfortunately, thus more rare items being quite expensive or non-existant. The SR80i for instance is 190 dollars here and the Superlux isn't for sale at all.
With the cost of the Behringer UCA202 or Asus Xonar DG and the mic, that leaves me with about 70-80 dollars for a headphone. Would I be able to find a good value headphone for that, perhaps from the more common brands here such as KOSS, AKG, Audio Technica, Sony, Creative or Sennheiser?
 
Oh! Yes, your right ofcourse. I will probably end up ordering the Superlux then. The ASUS Xonar DG looks also very interesting, as well as being cheap and available in Sweden. I read from the review that the UCA202 works best with headphones greater than 80 ohms but the Superlux is "only" 56 ohms. So I'm guessing that the Xonar DG, whose headphone amplifier is optimized for 32~150Ω, might suit the Superlux better. I might be wrong though... probably am.
 
Oh! Yes, your right ofcourse. I will probably end up ordering the Superlux then. The ASUS Xonar DG looks also very interesting, as well as being cheap and available in Sweden. I read from the review that the UCA202 works best with headphones greater than 80 ohms but the Superlux is "only" 56 ohms. So I'm guessing that the Xonar DG, whose headphone amplifier is optimized for 32~150Ω, might suit the Superlux better. I might be wrong though... probably am.

Well, to be honest the reason that guy says that is because it has a relatively high output impedance - but the effect that will have on the sound is rather small, actually. Without running the numbers, I can't know exactly, but the change in frequency response is probably lower than audible levels. In fact, the Behringer will have trouble driving higher impedance headphones because its voltage swing is rather small.

Really, I'd select whichever one is a more convenient form factor for you. The nice thing about the Behringer, at least, is that you won't have to pay shipping since you can get it at Thomann (dunno about the Asus). Oh, and I think if you run the checkout in English, you may only get the 20% UK VAT instead of 25% MOMS, even if you ship to Sweden. It's worth seeing if the prices are any different, anyway.
 
Superlux HD668b are amazing headphones. I recommend getting the AKG velour pads with them as they not only improve the comfort but also the sound quality (slightly wider soundstage and better bass).
 
So I thought I provide a little update for you what have happened since the last time I wrote. I ordered the SuperLux 688B aswell as the AKG velour pads from Thomann. They arrived in only four days and straight to the door!
I also ordered the Asus Xonar DG and the Zalman Mic from a swedish store although the Xonar is not in stock so I will probably not get them until next week.

Anyway, I've been using the Superlux headphones for several days now and must say I am very happy with them. The sound is extremely clear and I can easily distinguish all the different instrument in songs that previously just sounded messy when there were too much going on. The AKG velour pads also made the headset much more comfortable and easier to wear with glasses and might even have improved the soundquality even further.
The only possible downside I can think of with these headphones is that the music rarely feels powerful, everything sounds quite equal, even in songs where the intensity is "supposed" to rise. However, I am still using the onboard soundcard which is the Realtek ACL888 so I'm hoping that the Xonar DG will improve this. And even if it doesn't it isn't really a big deal. If I had too choose between powerful sound and clear sound, I would much rather choose the latter.

All in all, I can already tell these headphones are excellent and they were certainly at a bargain price. Thanks alot for suggesting them, much appreciated, as you might imagine :).

I'll post a reply when I have received and tested the Xonar DG.
 
So I thought I provide a little update for you what have happened since the last time I wrote. I ordered the SuperLux 688B aswell as the AKG velour pads from Thomann. They arrived in only four days and straight to the door!
I also ordered the Asus Xonar DG and the Zalman Mic from a swedish store although the Xonar is not in stock so I will probably not get them until next week.

Anyway, I've been using the Superlux headphones for several days now and must say I am very happy with them. The sound is extremely clear and I can easily distinguish all the different instrument in songs that previously just sounded messy when there were too much going on. The AKG velour pads also made the headset much more comfortable and easier to wear with glasses and might even have improved the soundquality even further.
The only possible downside I can think of with these headphones is that the music rarely feels powerful, everything sounds quite equal, even in songs where the intensity is "supposed" to rise. However, I am still using the onboard soundcard which is the Realtek ACL888 so I'm hoping that the Xonar DG will improve this. And even if it doesn't it isn't really a big deal. If I had too choose between powerful sound and clear sound, I would much rather choose the latter.

All in all, I can already tell these headphones are excellent and they were certainly at a bargain price. Thanks alot for suggesting them, much appreciated, as you might imagine :).

I'll post a reply when I have received and tested the Xonar DG.

They are high fidelity, neutral headphones that add very little colouration to the sound. They are pretty analytical. So it's perfectly normal that you think the music doesn't feel "powerful". Up to you to decide whether you like them that way or not, you can always use an EQ to tweak them without losing their qualities, anyway :)

I for one got used to them without an EQ and now I honestly can't go back. The clarity, details and balance make them highly addictive as long as I'm using a clean source (high quality mp3/FLAC and a decent soundcard).
 
Back
Top