• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

USB Headphones with Mic

Volzotan

n00b
Joined
Jan 22, 2010
Messages
8
Hi guys,

since I started playing games that require voice chat recently I need a new USB headset, since I cant be bothered to switch between speakers and headphones while playing (and my old headphones are pretty greasy after nearly 9 years :D)

Are headphones without a mic + a clip on mic the better alternative right now or will the sound quality suffer if I use a clip on microphone. I'm pretty much open to any idea.

Price range would be 100$-150$.
Thanks in advance :)
 
Unless someone knows a way to switch devices during playback, I have to restart whatever I'm playing to get it to switch between my USB headset and my speakers.
 
Unless someone knows a way to switch devices during playback, I have to restart whatever I'm playing to get it to switch between my USB headset and my speakers.

Are you sure, that I cant just change the default audio device, or even better set Skype/Vent to only use the headphones? This is my main reason to buy headphones, I dont need them for anything besides gaming.

@ryken: Not really USB headphones, but I think I could use them, since I use a digital output for my speakers. Would that be easier to switch between?
 
Last edited:
Always been partial to the Logitech series of USB headsets. The sound isn't Sennheiser/Grado/AKG quality but it is acceptable and at least you know if something goes wrong you have a outstanding customer support system behind the product.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Are you sure, that I cant just change the default audio device, or even better set Skype/Vent to only use the headphones? This is my main reason to buy headphones, I dont need them for anything besides gaming.
You should be able to set apps to use specific output devices. But if you want to swap in the middle of running an app, I haven't figured out how. Of course, I've only had my USB headset for a couple of weeks. Consider me an amateur.
 
Question: for gaming and music (dubstep, jungle, etc.) Tritton ax720 vs Logitech g35. Thoughts, opinions? Which has the better surround effect? Which has the better sound quality?
 
don't buy usb headphones, they are generally overpriced and the sound quality is severely lacking. Especially those tritton ones, my friend bought a pair of them, absolute garbage. The microphone is broke after a few months of owning them, sound quality is terrible (similar to all 5.1 headphones), and don't even try to install drivers for them on windows 7.

buying usb won't make it any easier to switch which audio out your using. i don't see why you would have a problem with standard analog though. i have a forte soundcard with a kenwood receiver plugged into the front L/R jacks and headphones plugged into the headphone jack. when i want sound through my speakers i just turn on the receiver. a logitech usb desktop mic is always set to default for ventrilo, so i don't have to worry about it being attached to anything. people always recommend the zalman clip but i prefer the logitech usb desktop mic, it is very durable and always delivers good clear sound. i'm sure you can get higher fidelity microphones but for voice chat, it does the job perfectly.

i recommend:

headphones
audio-technica ath-ad700, sennheiser hd555, maybe check out some grado's, shure's, beyerdynamics.

microphone
logitech usb desktop mic, and maybe check out the audio technica atr4700 (only 9.99 on amazon),

if you absolutely must have usb, check out this little adapter
http://www.amazon.com/Syba-SD-CM-UAUD-Adapter-C-Media-Chipset/dp/B001MSS6CS/ref=pd_sim_e_39
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I just got my AD700s in the mail this morning (huzzah for Saturday FedEx!) They sound great, can't wait to hear them after a couple weeks of burn in. Next step is definitely an amp...I can tell they hunger for more than a Z4 control pod can feed them.

19369_303807570988_606640988_3911910_7113290_n.jpg
19369_303807580988_606640988_3911912_6225950_n.jpg
 
Yeah, you are probably right BretG57. The Audio Technica seem good to me, but the problem is, that they cost 200$ over here, that is 110$ more than in the USA and that's more than I would like to spent. The Sennheiser ones cost only 120$ (probably because Sennheiser is located here in Germany).
I'm guessing the Sennheiser is the better pick then? :)
 
I just got my AD700s in the mail this morning (huzzah for Saturday FedEx!) They sound great, can't wait to hear them after a couple weeks of burn in. Next step is definitely an amp...I can tell they hunger for more than a Z4 control pod can feed them.

19369_303807570988_606640988_3911910_7113290_n.jpg
19369_303807580988_606640988_3911912_6225950_n.jpg

If i were you I wouldn't feed the phones from the logitech speakers. I've read the headphone out out of most logitech speakers degrade the sound quality. Try plugging them straight into the motherboard, even though its inconvenient to change the volume trhough your desktop. Look into a DAC first then an amp to upgrade the sound quality. I would highly reconmend getting a DAC first, because source is more important than an amp.

HIGHLY highly reconmend the Nuforce uDAC, great DAC, great headphone out, USB powered, really small and portable, and only costs $99 from amazon.

Heres the thread about it.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/fi...-udac-usb-dac-amp-line-out-s-pdif-out-456945/

Happy listening!
 
Don't know if you are still looking, but there is a pair of AD700's for 65 shipped in the FS forum. Would be a good buy for you.
 
Back
Top