• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

USB HDD Corruption

Joined
Dec 3, 2005
Messages
12
I can't figure out why when I copy files from any one of my hard disks to my 40GB Fujitsu USB HDD, some of the data gets corrupted.

All my PC hard disks are fine, I checked them and the files are fine too via CHKDSK. I have two 320 GB Seagate SATA2 disks, 1 WD 120 SATA disk, and an 80GB WD IDE disk. I checked them for bad sectors, file errors, etc, no problems, all are NTFS formatted, as is the 40GB USB disk. I always use the safely eject option for the USB disk, so there should be no problems with unwritten data, my RAM has been checked and there are no issues.

For example, I copied my large 500 MB font RAR archive over to the external. Tested the archive and immediately it was corrupted. Checked it on my hard disk, its fine. Recopying the file worked and now its fine, but then I copied some MP3s over, and 6 of them have invalid indexes and won't play. Check them on my regular hard disk.....yep they are fine.

So whats going on? I checked the external disk for bad sectors and its good, I tried plugging the drive into different USB ports, again same problem. Is it just a crap drive?
 
Can you test the drive out of its enclosure? It may be a problem with the USB chipset rather than the drive itself. Do you know who the manufacturer of the USB part is?
 
The drive itself is a Fujitsu MHT2040AH 2.5" hard disk, I think hooks up via PCMCIA as this drive doesn't need an external power supply. One of the big reasons why I bought it, as I didn't want another plug hanging around.

I decided to open the sucker up, the USB interface component is made by some company named Myson Century.
 
Back
Top