USB hard drive issue

Forgiven

Gawd
Joined
Jan 12, 2003
Messages
602
I have a usb case and I put a laptop drive in and windows recognizes it in the device manager but it does not show up anywhere. Originally I had another Laptop hard drive in there but it died. I thought it would be simple plug and play but it won't show up so I can't format/use it.

Suggestions?
 
Assuming there aren't drivers of some sort, it's very possible you just need to initialize the disk. Right-click on My Computer, select manage, select Disk Management on the left, and you should see it there. From there you should be able to initialize/format it to get windows to recognize it.
 
Excellent!

I formated it and went to transfer files and I get a write error if I try to batch send anything to it. Any suggestions or things I could set up differently?

thanks
 
Forgiven said:
Excellent!

I formated it and went to transfer files and I get a write error if I try to batch send anything to it. Any suggestions or things I could set up differently?

thanks

did you set up the disk as basic or dynamic?
 
I don't remember selecting that option. How and where would I change that and what would I need to change it to?
 
It'd be on the disk management page, if you right click and select properties it'll tell you. You should have a "convert to" option on that right click menu as well. It should be a basic disc.
 
Forgiven said:
First off THANK YOU for all your help

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a1/blindbartimaeus/screenie-1.jpg

That is the screenie I capped and when I right click "convert to dynamic" is greyed out. Properties and help are the only options.

hah, no problem. I'm going to have to mull this one over for a bit though, as the answer isn't jumping at me....have you scandisk/chkdisked the drive?
 
Back
Top