USB goes to 10GBs in USB 3.0 II

Note gigabit not Gigabyte ;)

Still damn fast....now if only we had devices able to leverage that bandwidth.

It would be cool if we could somehow do file transfers between computers using this new USB spec. I.e., some sort of ghetto workaround for 10 GbE. (Not sure if that makes sense.)

I believe USB3 has a host to host protocol built in, but I dont know of any OS that supports it.

Actually, one of the coolest features of the Superspeed USB 3 (other than the speed boost) is that it can suply up to 100 Watts of power, enough to completely run and charge a Laptop over a USB Cable or to even run a disk array box. Should be out end of this year or early next. Read more about it here.

isn't the bottleneck going to be where the transfer goes to? everyone keeps touting transfer speeds but if the receiving end isn't up to par, it's still slow.

Actually, one of the coolest features of the Superspeed USB 3 (other than the speed boost) is that it can suply up to 100 Watts of power, enough to completely run and charge a Laptop over a USB Cable or to even run a disk array box. Should be out end of this year or early next. Read more about it here.

Wow, thats pretty awesome. No more power cable for a extermal monitor.. display and power from 1 cable :O

Also charging your laptop from USB :eek:

This sounds great! The new revision means almost for certain that USB 3 will finally standardize on UASP, which will be essential to take advantage of that bandwidth.

They originally introduced it a couple years after USB 3, which means that support is still spotty (has to be supported by both host and device). But a brand-new speed revision that pushes the envelope means that all these new devices will support UASP natively :D

My only concern is this: Tech Report claims in their story that this higher-speed mode is no-longer bi-directional, but I can't find any confirmation of this anywhere.

http://techreport.com/news/24157/new-usb-3-0-spec-to-hit-10-gbps-data-rate

Does anyone else have more insight, or is this just a stupid misprint? It seems strange to me that they would take a step backwards after introducing bi-directional transfers with USB 3!

Last edited:
Prior to USB3, the data signals were half-duplex though with USB3 they graduated to full duplex. I wouldn't expect to see them going back to half duplex with this enhancement, but there are no hard specs posted yet at usb.org.

Back