• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

usb floppy?

xappie

[H]ard|Gawd
2FA
Joined
Dec 13, 2000
Messages
1,378
HI all

For some time now, I haven't bothered to install a floppy drive in any of my computers. I only rarely need one when doing a bios update etc.

However, now I am thinking that a USB floppy drive might be perfect, because I can EASILY move it from one machine to another as needed.

My question is - will a USB floppy drive be seen by the bios and would I be able to boot the computer with a boot floppy using it? I have a P4c800E Deluxe motherboard, and I see an option in the bios for USB Mass Storage, but I wonder if that would include a floppy drive. Also, assuming I could boot the PC with a USB floppy, could I also safely update the bios with it??
 
well my BIOS has an actual setting for booting from a USB floppy, so maybe check you mobo's manual to see if it can do that. I was able to boot off a usb floppy by using that setting.
 
The manuel doesn't say anything about booting from a usb floppy. I guess some one will have to test it out. If anyone has the same mobo and a usb floppy drive; please let me know the results.

Thanks
 
My mobo has the boot from USB floppy option. Just check your CMOs settings for boot sequence and see if that is listed as an option. One problem I ran into was getting the XP install to see the USB floppy for raid drivers.
 
Back
Top