USB Flash drives and WinXP

Shmuckety

[H]ard|Gawd
Why does Windows not recognize certain devices all the time? I just bought a flash drive and my main rig does not recognize it. The 3 other WinXp computers I tested it on had no issues. Where in the registry does winXP keep track of this? I know there is a file somewhere that says this flash drive was not recognized, so I will not try to recognize it again from now on.

Help.

Thanks.

Are you sure? Check in the disk manager to see if there is a driver letter conflict.

I'm having the same problem here also..My MP3 player works but my USB drive doesn't work.. I Goggled and you may want to try these.
Try unplugging the computer for 15-30 minutes.
Daemon tool messes things up too, delete these files from your system32 folder. sptd, secdrv

btw: i'm using Windows XP SP2

I use other usb drives on the same port with no issues. It detected it the first time, but did not work again after that. It is definitely a WinXP problem. I have seen this happen before. It is very strange. I have Win XP SP2 also.

One computer will be ok with a device and the other not. I don't have daemon tools, but Alcohol 120 also creates its own drive. I will try your suggestions.

Yeah, but you still have not asked my question. Does the drive show up in Disk Management?

Yeah, but you still have not asked my question. Does the drive show up in Disk Management?

The drive should show up in disk management. Just plugged 2 of my flash drives in and they showed up in Disk Management.

The drive should show up in disk management. Just plugged 2 of my flash drives in and they showed up in Disk Management.

Ok, change the drive letter so it does not conflict with anything. You should then be able to access the drive.

Sorry, no it doesn't show up in disk management. Since windows on that computer does not recognize this device it does not classify it as a drive. It shows up in device manager as an unknown usb device.

I have one and that is what I am attaching to, but there is no problem with the hardware. It reads other devices fine it just has a problem with this particular one only on this pc. Very strange.

well, I disabled USB 2.0 in my BIO and left 1.0 on..and it worked for one of my USB drive..you might want to give that a try.

Back