USB File Transfer

LJ57

2[H]4U
My desktop has been broken for several months now and I really need to get some data off the hard drive for school as soon as possible. I was thinking about taking the hard drive out and putting it in a friend's computer and then transferring the data to my notebook with USB cable. I've never done this so can someone tell me how I should go about doing this, like what kind of transfer cable I need and how to do this in WinXp. Thanks

you cant really use a usb to connect to computers.... try a cat5 cable maybe. When you install the HDD into your friends computer make sure that you have the correct jumper seetting and put it on the same IDE cable as the other HDD, i know this isnt the best configuation in the long run but its just for the time being. once its installed you should be able to access your HDD from your friends computer, maybe try burning the data to a CD. if you dont have a burner then try connecting your laptop to his computer through a switch or router.

ASAP?

1) Put your drive in his computer, upload files.
2) Download onto laptop.

Or get a external 3.5 enclose drive case, put your HD in there and then just hook up via usb....If doing computer to computer just use a Cat5 patch cable...fast and easy..

Thanks alot for all the suggestions. I think I may get an external enclosure since they're relatively cheap and I'll probably be able to use it alot in the future. Also, I don't know when I'll fix my desktop. It's a mobo prob and I'll probably just go ahead and upgrade everything (mobo,cpu, memory) when I do. Thanks again.

One other thing, can anyone suggest a good external enclosure that is relatively cheap, preferably <$50. Thanks

Yeah, you're going to need a crossover cable if you're going the cable route...then map a network drive on your notebook to wherever your files are stored on your friends machine.

Transfer, Bang, you're done.

Crossover cables can be had for less then 10 bucks.

Back