USB devices won't recognize on Vista. Tried EVERYTHING!

Satummoo

Limp Gawd
I have a Toshiba A135-S2386 Laptop that is made for Vista. When I first bought the laptop last year for my wife, she didn't like Vista so I partitioned the hard drive and ran XP on there. The laptop needed to be reformated so I decided to try vista again since it's gone through a lot of changes since it's first come out. I first used the Vista DVD that came with the laptop and did all the updates except SP1. When I tried a digital camera or thumb drive, nothing would work. It would only recognize as "unkown device". I then updated to SP1 and STILL nothing. I then used a Vista SP1 DVD and it STILL won't recognize any USB devices. Here's what i've done so far:

-Tried Directing the drivers to C:windows/system32 (and just about every driver folder)
-Google'd fixes and deleted the INFCACHE (SP?) that was aparantly a usb problem early in vista's life
-Did another fix (http://dotnetwizard.net/vista-stuff...ices-not-getting-detected-after-vista-update/) And replaced the usb drivers and STILL nothing

I've wasted about 5 hours doing reformats trying to get it to work and downloaded as many drivers as I could. Checking the CD, there are no "chipset" drivers and toshiba's support has nothing. I'm also running the latest BIOS and the laptop can only run x86 Vista.

Anyone Please help??? I'm rather hesitant to go back to XP because I could never find all of the drivers :mad:

After about 5-10 minutes of digging I found that you will need ATi xpress 200m chipset drivers. There should be an included Toshiba utility software that should tell you what to download.

forgot to mention that I did that already. I've tried the ones from toshiba and using updated ones from AMD/ATI. Nothing seems to be working! :confused:

Only other thing I can think of is that it might be turned off in the BIOS. Have you tried a BIOS reflash? I helped with my Vostro 1500's fans and rear USB.

I'd try calling Toshiba's support. They might have better insight on the problem.

Back