• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

USB audio.. replacement for laptop

erebus720

Gawd
Joined
Jul 16, 2003
Messages
1,016
I have a laptop mounted upside down (with the lcd rotated) in my kitchen.

Previous one died, so I replaced it with this.

However I cant get the audio working, drivers install it just never works.

I picked up a cheap usb audio device, it sucks.

What are some options for $20 or less? I don't need anything awesome, just not crackley and full of static.
 
Generic no-name USB audio adapters are dirt cheap. (saw one sell for $1.99 a couple of times) I know Creative gets no love around here but I'm going to recommend em' anyways.

XMod USB Sound Card

I have an ancient Dell Inspiron at work with a shorted headphone jack; and this pinch hit beautifully. (the big shiny volume knob is a big plus)
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Turtle Beach Micro Advantage whatever is like $10 or $15 and works

or go with Saturn's suggestion :)

makes me weary of other usb devices

so you buy the absolute cheapest option available, and surprise surprise, its crap
and now you're going to pass judgment on any device that uses the same interface as it?

on that logic, the GeForce 6200 can't run Mass Effect 2, it made me weary of all PCIe devices, so I trashed my fancy pants videocard and refuse to upgrade until major technological innovation occurs
 
Yeah yeah..

I don't see Turtle Beach Micro Advantage for $10-$15.

Otherwise it looks like a perfect option. I need cheap :)

Dont use it enough to justify spending more than $20
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
yeah missed a pcmcia audigy for $20 shipped last week.

Wish I knew why the onboard just doesnt want to work.
 
I know this goes against the Op's original intent, and all of You must be sick of me bringing them up, but I thought I'd offer another solution..

instead of spending 30+$ on an adapter

USB active monitors 60$ ,, no sound card needed, just plug the USB cable into the laptop and that's it,,

http://www.zzounds.com/item--IONDESKROCKER

as far as I can tell these are the same as the alesis 320 USB of which I have a set and there a decent little speaker..

I appologise in advance

just a thought: are You shure the problem isn't in the cable and not in the laptop, try plugging something else in, { headphones }
 
Last edited:
Back
Top