USB Audio Device for Retro Red Hat Linux 9 System

MWM

n00b
Hello all,

This is a long shot, as my own internet searching proved fruitless. However, I have a Jabra GN2000 USB Duo headset, which is the only USB sound device I have tried that works without issues on my retro Red Hat Linux 9 (Code name Shrike) system. It has to be a USB device, as this system is a laptop and I do not think that the PCMCIA slots are supported in Red Hat Linux 9. I have tried several other USB audio devices (and the internal sound device) with various results, but all of them did not fully function (especially with OpenAL). I would like a USB audio device that fully works with Red Hat Linux 9, and has a 3.5mm female stereo (TRS) jack. I could modify the Jabra headset by soldering a 3.5mm jack to it, but I would prefer not to.

I opened the Jabra headset and found the audio chip which has:

Trident™
UAC 3556B G7
A N7311
2215.1 GERMANY

printed on it.
UAC3556B-G7.png

I figure if I could find a USB audio device with a 3.5mm female stereo (TRS) jack that uses this chip, it would work just the same as the Jabra headset. The problem is, all I found in my searching was places to buy the chip itself; such as here.

So, does anyone know of a USB audio device that uses this chip?

Or, has anyone used a USB audio device that worked for them on Red Hat Linux 9 (particularly with OpenAL)?

I found a workaround for my problem; install Fedora Core 1 instead of Red Hat Linux 9. It is directly based on Red Hat Linux 9 and has improvements. Most importantly full support for the internal sound device of the laptop. It also supports the old Linux software I wanted to use, and has the same visual appearance I like. Specifically, the Bluecurve desktop theme and even the Red Hat logo in the corner.

Back