• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

USB 3.0 really needed

pinecone

n00b
Joined
Nov 21, 2011
Messages
2
Many of the new mb's that offer USB 3.0 ports don't still have IDE ports. I would really like to still be able to use some of the old IDE hd's I have.

I don't currently have any USB 3.0 devices and even with external hd's I don't transfer that large of files.

So with that in mind is it really important for a new mb to have USB 3.0 suppoert?
 
in my opinion yes its important, it may not have much use now but in 6-8 months down the road as more usb 3.0 products come out it will be. as far as IDE support goes, just grab an external IDE case for 20 bucks. makes life a heck of a lot easier when dealing with IDE drives. i still have a few of them as well but i hate dealing with the stupid IDE cables so that cuts down having to deal with it.
 
Well I agree on the IDE as SATA has already taken over. As to the USB 3.0 I'm really wondering, as a light user, where it would benefit me that much more. I use an external HDD and to back up to once a month, flash drives to back up once a week. Nothing else USB i.e. mouse really depends on speed. My printer is wireless.

Guess I'm saying that speed is important but in my case it's fine right now. I can see to folks who transfer a large amount of data frequently this would mean a lot.
 
It will benefit you - just imagine transfering pictures from camera, transfering data/movies/music to phone/tablet. It will cut time of this by lot, thus giving you more time for other things.

Besides IDE is dead. There will not be new devices on it. And if MB producers have to choose wheter to add few more USB / SATA ports, or add dead port, well, you get the picture.
 
Well I agree on the IDE as SATA has already taken over. As to the USB 3.0 I'm really wondering, as a light user, where it would benefit me that much more. I use an external HDD and to back up to once a month, flash drives to back up once a week. Nothing else USB i.e. mouse really depends on speed. My printer is wireless.

Guess I'm saying that speed is important but in my case it's fine right now. I can see to folks who transfer a large amount of data frequently this would mean a lot.

we went through this same thing with USB 1.1 to USB 2.0.. and now we can't live without USB 2.0. as the standard switches to 3.0 it will be the same case. it happens everytime there is a new standard.
 
Back
Top