USB 3.0 - Is This Normal?

deadman_uk

[H]ard|Gawd
How come when I reboot my PC and it's attempting to POST, the keyboard and mouse (plugged into USB 3 ports) doesn't power up until Windows 7 loads? This means I cannot access the UEFI with the keyboard, or control the pointer. If the keyboard and mouse are plugged into USB 2 ports, they work fine.

Checking your BIOS would be my first suggestion. I never have tried using the USB 3.0 slots for mine, but I could try it and see.

I have checked my BIOS, the USB 3.0 controller is enabled. What other settings could there be?

My guess is that it has something to do with not supporting USB 2 devices on USB 3 ports on your specific board within the UEFI. It probably gets enabled via a driver once your OS loads. However this is pure speculation. Remember that USB 3 has hardware/pin differences when compared to USB 2. My recommendation is to use the USB 2 ports for your mouse and keyboard... especially since I doubt your mouse and keyboard take advantage of USB 3. If you're running low on ports, put your other components (printer, card reader, etc) on the USB 3 ports.

I wouldn't connect keyboard and mouse in usb 3.0. They are fast and meant for external usb 3.0 hard drive or flash drive

I wouldn't connect keyboard and mouse in usb 3.0. They are fast and meant for external usb 3.0 hard drive or flash drive
This. I mean what kind of advantage are you expecting by using those ports for non-data storing devices?

You may need to install USB3 drivers, USB3 is new enough that not all of its features are natively supported by some operating systems.

edit: Nevermind, wasn't paying attention and didn't realize you only had this issue in uefi and bios, same idea cept it's that the bios/uefi whatever doesn't have native usb3 support.

You need to enable USB 3.0 legacy support in the BIOS if it offers such an option. Honestly, I wouldn't plug a keyboard or mouse into a USB 3.0 port unless you really have no choice. In my experience it is somewhat problematic. Especially for keyboards.

My wife's Asus 1155 board even had a statement in its manual that you should not use the USB 3 ports for a keyboard or a mouse. Every USB 3 solution I've seen uses a 3rd party chip (e.g. Renesas) to provide the USB 3 functionality. Since it is not part of the native 1155 chipset, that means that it needs to have drivers loaded before it works. As a result, your USB 3 ports don't work until your OS loads. Pretty much all modern motherboards support USB 2 natively and, thus, a keyboard or mouse plugged into one of those slots will work in the BIOS screen. And yes, as others have said, there's nothing to be gained at all from running them from USB 3 instead of USB 2. The bandwidth of USB 3 is best for fast flash drives, hard drives, etc.

My wife's Asus 1155 board even had a statement in its manual that you should not use the USB 3 ports for a keyboard or a mouse. Every USB 3 solution I've seen uses a 3rd party chip (e.g. Renesas) to provide the USB 3 functionality. Since it is not part of the native 1155 chipset, that means that it needs to have drivers loaded before it works. As a result, your USB 3 ports don't work until your OS loads. Pretty much all modern motherboards support USB 2 natively and, thus, a keyboard or mouse plugged into one of those slots will work in the BIOS screen. And yes, as others have said, there's nothing to be gained at all from running them from USB 3 instead of USB 2. The bandwidth of USB 3 is best for fast flash drives, hard drives, etc.

Some boards do implement BIOS level "legacy" support which allows keyboards and mice to work on USB 3.0 ports. I've seen it. Doesn't always work, but I've seen it.

Enabling legacy USB 2 and 3 support in the UEFI causes my card reader to have issues when I boot my PC. I think I will just use the 2 USB 2.0 ports for my keyboard and mouse. I shall stick my printer etc into the USB 3.0 ports.

Thanks all!

My SD card reader doesn't work right when plugged into USB 3.0 ports.

I would put the keyboard and mouse on the USB2.0 ports (and the printer too for that matter) and leave the USB3 ports for USB3 devices.

Enabling legacy USB 2 and 3 support in the UEFI causes my card reader to have issues when I boot my PC. I think I will just use the 2 USB 2.0 ports for my keyboard and mouse. I shall stick my printer etc into the USB 3.0 ports.

Thanks all!

Your printer should not be connected to the USB 3.0 ports, for that matter: You see, the keyboard, mouse and printer are not even USB 2.0 High-Speed compliant - but they are only USB 1.1 (or USB 2.0 Full-Speed) compliant. Any device that does not support at least USB 2.0 High-Speed transfers are not compatible at all with any currently available onboard USB 3.0 controller. Remember, USB controllers are downwards compatible with slower USB devices to a limit of only one speed class. This is exactly why Intel is reluctant to include native USB 3.0 support in any of its current chipsets, and native USB 3.0 support will not come to Intel chipsets until the successor to the current P67/Z68 chipset line arrives next year (and even then, the number of supported USB 3.0 ports will be limited to four USB 3.0 ports - the additional USB ports will be only USB 2.0). And no, the initial X79 chipset for LGA 2011 will not have native USB 3.0 support.

Last edited:
I would put the keyboard and mouse on the USB2.0 ports (and the printer too for that matter) and leave the USB3 ports for USB3 devices.

The only problem is more and more manufacturers are replacing USB 2.0 ports with USB 3.0 ports. Some boards give you only a couple USB 2.0 ports and the rest are USB 3.0 ports running on 2 or 3 different USB 3.0 controllers. Gigabyte is fond of doing this for example.

The only problem is more and more manufacturers are replacing USB 2.0 ports with USB 3.0 ports. Some boards give you only a couple USB 2.0 ports and the rest are USB 3.0 ports running on 2 or 3 different USB 3.0 controllers. Gigabyte is fond of doing this for example.

The problem with this trend is that it will render all current USB input devices totally obsolete. Until native core-logic-chipset-based USB 3.0 support arrives next year, the only way currently to solve this problem is to add extra USB 2.0 ports or bring back legacy PS/2 ports for both keyboard and mice. Current chipsets from both Intel and AMD lack native USB 3.0 support at all (and thus require third-party controllers for USB 3.0 capability).

Back